Help with text gobo

Redkat

So I am looking to order some gobos for a show coming up and I noticed the stock text gobo under the name of brush script capitalized. I would really like to use this gobo for my show but I have a few questions first:

1) Can you choose what the gobo will say?

2) If yes to the first question, where do you specify this and how many letters are allowed?

Thanks in advance for the help

Yes - the pictures are only examples of what the text would look like.

I'm not sure what the size limit is, but I'm sure it's within reason. The best thing to do is to call the manufacturer and tell them what instrument you're using, what beam spread it is, and what your throw distance is. They can advise from that point forward in regard to physical limits, legibility, etc. Many gobos with more complicated text (especially if multicolor/graphics are needed, or if there is more to it than a simple word or phrase) will need to be made of glass, which is expensive. Basically the answer is - "it depends". In general though, you can't put much more than a phrase on a steel gobo, and you'll want to use the best ellipsoidal available.

With a little more info, we can give you a more complete answer. Right now, I can't tell if you're just wanting to say something simple like "Intermission" or more complex, such as "Welcome back my friends, to the show that never ends. We're so glad you could attend; come inside, come inside."

Manufacturers generally accept custom gobos via submitted artwork, similar to clipart, so you can have a gobo that is entirely custom. Keep in mind that some changes will need to be made with steel gobos so that they will hold together (ex: things like O's will need to be bridged since there is nothing to hold the center "dot" together).

If you are going to order a pre-existing design with your own lettering, I'd just call them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back