MagicQ Grand and Sub masters. How to use seperately?

HiSPL

I have been using MQPC for years and I think I remember back in the day being able to assign some playbacks to the Submaster, and some not, but all were still assigned to the Grand Master.

I'm building a new show (big church) and that choice on the PB's now effectively groups the Grand and the Sub together (along with swaps and DBO) as one preference. Meaning you either get them all or get none. Does anyone have a workaround for this? Am I crazy in thinking that it used to not be this way? Will Bullwinkle ever find the rabbit in his hat?

Oh, also first post. I've been asking these stupid questions on Reddit for the last few years, but now Reddit's being dumb and I'm not going to use their app under any circumstances......

Make sur eyou go over to the New Member Board and say Hi.
It's been a few years since I went through the manual. From the manual:
  • 16.4.2 Grand Master & Sub Master To the left of the 10 playbacks are two master faders - a Grand Master which controls the overall HTP output level of the console, and a Sub Master which controls the HTP output level of the playbacks. In addition the Sub Master can be configured to control the level of the FLASH buttons. Both the Grand Master and the Sub Master have FLASH buttons which respectively bump the overall HTP output level, and the HTP output level of the playbacks to full. LTP channels are not affected by the master fader.
  • 16.4.3 Dead Black Out (DBO) Above the Grand Master there is a DBO button. Pressing this button causes all HTP values to be set to zero, thus generating a black out. Releasing the button causes the original HTP levels to be restored. LTP channels are not affected by the DBO button.
  • 17.3.1 Cue Stack is an Intensity Master When this setting is set to Yes then the Cue Stack behaves as an Intensity Master. The Cue Stack normal Cue execution behaviour is disabled.
  • 17.5.3 Ignore Masters When set to Yes, then the levels of HTP channels ignore grand master and sub master faders. They also ignore DBO and SHIFT RELEASE and will not be automatically activated and released by timecode, and lastly:
  • 18.7 Playbacks ignore masters levels Sometimes it is necessary to program playbacks that are not affected by the Grand Master or Sub Master. Use the "Ignore Masters" option to prevent the Cue Stack being affected by the master faders – this is useful for controlling channels that must stay up – e.g. house lights, smoke machines etc. . . Cue Stacks set with this option are not affected by grand master, sub master, DBO button. Cue Stacks with this option set are not released by pressing SHIFT RELEASE to release all playbacks. From 1.9.4.1 this option also causes Playbacks to ignore FX Speed Masters and FX Size Masters.
It's a little deep in the weeds, but it is there. I can't take screen shots from my work computer to show you. It's a good way to set houselights on a given channel.

Make sur eyou go over to the New Member Board and say Hi.
It's been a few years since I went through the manual. From the manual:
  • 16.4.2 Grand Master & Sub Master To the left of the 10 playbacks are two master faders - a Grand Master which controls the overall HTP output level of the console, and a Sub Master which controls the HTP output level of the playbacks. In addition the Sub Master can be configured to control the level of the FLASH buttons. Both the Grand Master and the Sub Master have FLASH buttons which respectively bump the overall HTP output level, and the HTP output level of the playbacks to full. LTP channels are not affected by the master fader.
  • 16.4.3 Dead Black Out (DBO) Above the Grand Master there is a DBO button. Pressing this button causes all HTP values to be set to zero, thus generating a black out. Releasing the button causes the original HTP levels to be restored. LTP channels are not affected by the DBO button.
  • 17.3.1 Cue Stack is an Intensity Master When this setting is set to Yes then the Cue Stack behaves as an Intensity Master. The Cue Stack normal Cue execution behaviour is disabled.
  • 17.5.3 Ignore Masters When set to Yes, then the levels of HTP channels ignore grand master and sub master faders. They also ignore DBO and SHIFT RELEASE and will not be automatically activated and released by timecode, and lastly:
  • 18.7 Playbacks ignore masters levels Sometimes it is necessary to program playbacks that are not affected by the Grand Master or Sub Master. Use the "Ignore Masters" option to prevent the Cue Stack being affected by the master faders – this is useful for controlling channels that must stay up – e.g. house lights, smoke machines etc. . . Cue Stacks set with this option are not affected by grand master, sub master, DBO button. Cue Stacks with this option set are not released by pressing SHIFT RELEASE to release all playbacks. From 1.9.4.1 this option also causes Playbacks to ignore FX Speed Masters and FX Size Masters.
It's a little deep in the weeds, but it is there. I can't take screen shots from my work computer to show you. It's a good way to set houselights on a given channel.
Unless I’m missing something, this does not do what I’m hoping to do.

I want only “some” PB’s controlled via the submaster, but “all” PB’s controlled by the Grand (and shift release). But I don’t see a way to make those two masters control different things anymore. I could have sworn that you used to have separate sections under the PB options. One for Grand and one for Sub.

Hi HiSPL

Submaster will control playbacks 1-10, while Grandmaster will control all of the console.

There are some recent changes to allow the Submaster to be a playback as well too.

If you turn on tool and mouse tips under Setup, View Settings, Windows and then mouse over and open the Submaster Settings under Setup, View Settings, Playback, you should find what I think you are looking for

Hi HiSPL

Submaster will control playbacks 1-10, while Grandmaster will control all of the console.

There are some recent changes to allow the Submaster to be a playback as well too.

If you turn on tool and mouse tips under Setup, View Settings, Windows and then mouse over and open the Submaster Settings under Setup, View Settings, Playback, you should find what I think you are looking for
Yeah I had that enabled on my personal laptop and saw it already.

It looks like this just won't do what I want to do here, and thats fine. My memory was that I could assign PB's to the submaster willy-nilly, but I guess I can't.

For what its worth, this is a weird end-user request that I'm trying to provide for. They have several movers with color wheels and want to have the intensity of each kind of mover on a seperate handle to douse between scenes to prevent color wheel antics. This is all fine in theory but there are now 5 different handles that all have to be doused and I was hoping to put them all on the submaster, but leave the other handles only controlled by the garndmaster.

They are coming from an Onyx which had no submaster function that I'm aware of. The Onyx was set up this way and they want this to be the same....

No big deal. In the end they are getting the same functionality as what they had with the Onyx. I was just hoping to add a feature, but looks like I can't.

BTW, we are replacing the Onyx because it quit talking to the ETC racks. Like it just won't. We updated from an old version to a newer version and it just stopped talking to the ETC.

For what its worth, this is a weird end-user request that I'm trying to provide for. They have several movers with color wheels and want to have the intensity of each kind of mover on a seperate handle to douse between scenes to prevent color wheel antics. This is all fine in theory but there are now 5 different handles that all have to be doused and I was hoping to put them all on the submaster, but leave the other handles only controlled by the garndmaster.

Could this be solved with an LTP VS HTP toggle? Not a MagicQ person, or much of a lighting programmer recently, but if I understand what you are trying to accomplish that could do it.

HiSPL:

"I was hoping to put them all on the submaster"

This can be achieved by setting up an intensity master for just those fixtures, a "select fixture intensity master" On other consoles, this might be described as an inhibitive submaster. Use this article, first section for how to on our ChamSys Consoles:

You could do this on CS2 and move it to the "submaster" fader in MagicQ.

HiSPL:

"I was hoping to put them all on the submaster"

This can be achieved by setting up an intensity master for just those fixtures, a "select fixture intensity master" On other consoles, this might be described as an inhibitive submaster. Use this article, first section for how to on our ChamSys Consoles:

You could do this on CS2 and move it to the "submaster" fader in MagicQ.
Perfect! This absolutely will work!

Thanks for all y'all do!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back