Control/Dimming Help With Various DMX Issues

I want to make sure I am reading this correctly

If I am using the Apollo 200 or 400 PSU, I count the PSU and all connected Scrollers as a single device on the 32 device chain. Is that correct?

And just for grins, if I have a Right Atm with a scroller and Iris is it one device or three?
That is correct John. We designed the Smart Power so it basically has a DMX splitter inside for the 4-pin outputs. The Smart Power will count as a unit on the DMX run it is a part of, but the 4-pin outputs are each a "new DMX run".
Sally that is not the case with the Right Arm. The RA itself and each device connected to it count.

I want to make sure I am reading this correctly

If I am using the Apollo 200 or 400 PSU, I count the PSU and all connected Scrollers as a single device on the 32 device chain. Is that correct?

In the case of optically-isolated devices, like the Apollo 200 and 400 units are - I'm making a reasonable leap here that Dave knows far, far more about that than I:
...as is the case with Apollo's Smart Power 200 and 400 supplies.
- You normally count each device downstream as a new DMX run of up to 32 devices - within the constraints of the device's other parameters, namely cable run lengths and power usage. In theory, at least, the Apollo PSUs would be good for another 32 units on each run, disregarding power usage; but you'd count the PSU as a device on the originating run. Practically speaking, you'll normally reach the device limits on the "power" side of the PSU before the limits on the DMX kick in.

In a situation like the setup you've got, using an optically-isolated PSU means you have multiple, repeated DMX sends for that universe running on the 4-pin cables.

To make things slightly more complicated, most devices have a passive DMX Thru, but can active DMX output - that is, integral signal isolation within the device - which means they've taken the DMX in, and are repeating it (thus restarting the count of devices). DMX Splitters are an example of this, where they isolate the original DMX run and repeat it to each of their outputs. Because isolation is typically an active process, (as in, no direct connections), it needs power to operate properly - which is why it's common on many devices, even splitters, to leave throughput un-isolated. If the power to such a device fails, since the connection is passive, the DMX passes through the unit unhindered, leaving the remaining powered fixtures downstream still responsive. Naturally, the active outputs on the splitter would then no longer receive data.

And just for grins, if I have a Right Atm with a scroller and Iris is it one device or three?

The Right Arm is 5-pin, with passive throughput, so that's one DMX device, the power supply for the 4-pin output(s) to the scroller and Iris is another (although you may have a separate PSU for each device, and it (they) may also be active or passive output), so the total's two (and two), or three (and one, and one), or four, or four (and one), or five, depending. Easy, huh?

Production still has 2 more shows left, but everything ended up going perfectly smoothly. Thanks for all the help.

I'm getting more confident with my understanding of more complicated lighting techniques and technologies with every show. Can't wait to start learning from some pros as I take my first real courses in stagecraft at college in the Fall. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back