High End Hog 4 family of consoles released at LDI

traxman25

High End unveiled the Hog 4 family of consoles at LDI Friday morning. I was lucky enough to be invited to the unveiling, the excitement in the crowd was high as they revealed their booth to not only Hog 4 full size but a full line of Hog consoles which closely follows the concepts of the GMA2 family. Hog Full Size, Full Boar, Road Hog, and Nano Hog. There are several new features, including a bank of user assignable buttons, intended to act as a fast select placing your most used fixture attributes. This acts in addition to surfing through the Beam menu for shaping shutters for example.

The Nano is a PC wing with a full 10 play back, just like the full size (except they aren't motorized). The Road Hog has the largest touch screen I've ever seen on a console, rather than having two it has one extra large screen. There are too many more features to list here but they look like a great improvement over Hog 3. Also the Hog 4 line has been upgraded to the Windows 7 Operating system.

Let's hope some of the new and exciting features they added include a dimmer check, or a channel check, or dimmer curves (mentioned in the hog 3 manual but nowhere to be found in the software) :p

Don't get me wrong, I spent all summer programing movers on a hog and found it a great experience. Much faster for movers than a lot of other consoles in the same price range. But there's certainly some things missing.

I see that High End has yet to discover that people want to be able to fold their Road Hog, Full Boar, and wing screens flat just like the full size Hog. The trackball with Z-axis ring, the built-in keyboard, and the LCD keys for multifunction keys make the Hog 4 appear to be a better programming surface than the previous Hogs. The fifth encoder is also a useful addition with today's million-parameter fixtures.

For basic stuff, though, you'll still find me using the venerable HOG1000. Most people don't realize it, but the buttons on the top of the Hog1K give the console 64 executor "go" buttons if you throw those menus in to cuelist mode! One-button access to any color or gobo for any set of fixtures during a show. (Just don't run too many at the same time or it will crash).

I will be interested to see how the new library system on the Hog4 works - the library system of the Hog3 software has sent me in to multiple fits of rage previously trying to get fixtures that I need in to the console. I'd also like to see a way to export user personalities to the console so that they stay there in the user library and don't go away with the showfile.

Also, does anyone know if these 12 multifunction keys can run executors directly?

Last edited:
I will see if I can get that question answered today.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Thanks - also, if you can get a video of the HES SolaSpot LED, that'd be awesome.

According to the documentation on HES's website all the Hog4 Consoles run Linux, Include a visualizer, supports ACN and a bunch of other info.

The brochure is at the link.http://www.highend.com/products/controllers/documents/Hog4_Fall2012.pdf

The visualizer is not on the console however, I belive they just include a license for Capture with purchase. Another cool thing is there's a eSATA port in the back of the console for hooking up an SSD full of content media. But not yet implemented. All in all I'd say It' about time High End! Also nice is that its backwards and forwards compatible (for now) with older desks, ie Roadhog and Hog 3. I do feel sorry for those folks who just bought a Roadhog in the last 6 months, but thats technology for ya!

Axis

Yes, and I asked if you can install hog 4 pc on a roadhog full boar and was told no...

I do feel sorry for those folks who just bought a Roadhog in the last 6 months, but thats technology for ya!

I feel bad for those people regardless of these new desks....

I like the new hardware. Got a giggle out of the "chamsys softkeys" on the desk too....

Now if only it didn't run hog...

Apparently it's somewhat spill-resistant as well. In the confusion at the end of the show part of a drink got spilled on it-- and Richard Belliveau dumped the rest on as well! And yes, it was running fine the entire time.

And no, no one is recommending spilling drinks (or any other foreign substance) in consoles!

So, the twelve multifunction keys cannot currently run executors. They do plan to allow this in a future update though, no ETA on the release of the update.

I also got a multi page list of all the updates from Hog3 to Hog4, it's a huge list, I'm getting a PDF of the list tomorrow so I'll post it here.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Adam, Tk2k

Just wanted to let you both know (since you are in Wisconsin) we will have our Hog 4 setup in our Demo room and hooked up to a visualizer starting the 2nd week of November. Drop me a line if you want to setup a time to take it for a test drive.

Axis,

Just an FYI there is a trade in / buy-back program for those wishing to upgrade from Hog 3 to 4.

Oh, I'm sure... but I'm sticking with my GrandMA 1 and 2's :)...Still I applaud the effort from High End and its good to see some innovation there again

Axis

To be honest, I am quite disappointed in the buy back program.
Most would easily get 50%-100% more on the used market.

I agree, but usually that difference is in the 10-20% range, this is much above that. They are offering Less than 6k for 7 month old a full boar!!

Last edited:
Hi guys and gals.

I'm currently an ETC user, I'm looking at getting a Road Hog 4. I was wondering if anyone has used both and could give me a pro and cons if I convert. I am usually theatre based with what I do however cross over into busking concerts on a regular basic.

Do hogs have automark (move while dark).

Of anyone could help that would be great.

Thanks techies :)

Josh

I have not used the hog 4 yet but have used the 3. Hog and etc work along the same syntax for the most part. And yes the hog does have a mark cue.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back