Control/Dimming High End vs. Chamsys

Which Company's Products do you prefer?

• High End Systems

Votes: 10 52.6%
  • Chamsys

Votes: 9 47.4%

• Total voters
I have been working with "MagicQ", from Chamsys, for about a year now. Recently however, my theatre purchased a Whole Hog III from High End systems. Wanting to better understand the Hog's OS, I went out and got "Hog 3PC". So far that I have noticed, Hog 3PC seems to have a much smoother layout and control system than MagicQ. I really do love working with Chamsys equipment, but I am considering switching over to High End systems, as I have been thoroughly impressed by the way the Whole Hog handles intelligent lighting fixtures.

I would like to know how other designers and technicians feel about BOTH companies. Stories about experiences with High End /or Chamsys equipment are more than welcome.​

Last edited by a moderator:
the Hog is practically industry standard, much more so than the chamsys desk. both are great desks, but you'll get more work if you're a more-than-competent Hog3 programmer.

Having used MagicQ software and their actual hardware consoles (MQ100 Pro in my case) and HES's Road Hog and 3PC software, I feel like I can comment a little. MagicQ is a more powerful light board, especially when it comes to its handling of media servers and pixel mapping (neither of which you do, I would guess). The main problem with the MagicQ software it that it is pretty much just the software from their consoles running on a computer. They haven't done all that much to optimize the interface for differing hardware demands so, without a console or wing, I find that the Chamsys software is a little trickier to use than 3PC. HES has done a decent job of making the Hog 3 software look good on a computer, not just a console, so I think that is a plus. That said, for the cost of the necessary hardware for 3PC, you can get a wing for MagicQ which I think makes it a better option. I have also found the Chamsys support to be better in terms of quickly getting new fixture profiles made when I occasionally need them. In terms of the full size consoles, I like the HES's dual-built-in-screen set up more than the single larger one on the Chamsys boards and I don't care for the angle that Chamsys has placed their touch screen but, with newer Chamsys boards, you can attach two external touchscreens versus the single one permitted by the Road Hog and Full Boar. Besides the screen issue though, I prefer the ergonomics of the Chamsys boards. They put a lot of attention into details like wrist rest and worklight positioning. I wouldn't refuse either for lighting though I would much prefer to helm a Chamsys for working with media servers.

the Hog is practically industry standard, much more so than the chamsys desk. both are great desks, but you'll get more work if you're a more-than-competent Hog3 programmer.

Not really pertinent to the OP, but one could argue that the GrandMA has taken over the non-theatrical desk market.

Here's a link to a CB thread from 2 years ago and from what I see from all the trade journals, if the console used isn't an Eos, Ion or Obsession, it's usually a GrandMA

http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/...ost-popular-touring-console-2008-edition.html

SB

metti;200062The main problem with the [autolink said:
MagicQ[/autolink] software it that it is pretty much just the software from their consoles running on a computer. They haven't done all that much to optimize the interface for differing hardware demands so, without a console or wing, I find that the Chamsys software is a little trickier to use than 3PC. HES has done a decent job of making the Hog 3 software look good on a computer, not just a console, so I think that is a plus.

I would have to disagree with you on this point metti. I've been working with MagicQ recently and I think the multiple view options make it great on a computer! Especially if you are using a touchscreen computer like the eeetop. I always found the way other PC versions run frustrating, particularly the hog II. I feel like they realized when designing MagicQ that a lot of people would use it on the PC, and designed with that in mind.

Not really pertinent to the OP, but one could argue that the GrandMA has taken over the non-theatrical desk market.

Here's a link to a CB thread from 2 years ago and from what I see from all the trade journals, if the console used isn't an Eos, Ion or Obsession, it's usually a GrandMA

http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/...ost-popular-touring-console-2008-edition.html

SB

I think that will be changing in about 2 years. The smaller tours are starting to use MagicQ, usually the PC version with either the Maxi wing or the standard wing. At my "other" venue, we had more magic Q's come through then Hogs. We had one GrandMA full sized and a few micros and of course a crap ton of Avo's. It would not suprise me in the next 2 years to see at least one or two Magic Q's on the "top tours" list.

NIN tours with it... and the LD seems to REALLY REALLY enjoy the console.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, when the WWE went all in on Chamsys I knew the times they were a changing. I love my MA's don't get me wrong. I also cut my teeth on Hogs, so I love them. But there is something about the MagicQ that I like better at every level. I can't put my finger on it, but it just flows better, and I never thought I would say that.

Mike

Looking back at my post, I don't think this comes across properly, but I am a huge fan of MagicQ. I do agree that using a touch screen makes up for many of the faults I see in it's computer based UI and using a wing and/or X-Keys makes up for pretty much all of them, but I also think that in terms of functionality and general operating style, it is one of the best boards out there. I have speced MQ100 Pros on two upcoming theatre productions that I'm designing/programming and if would do it more if I wasn't mostly working in venues which already have a decent board. I honestly think that at this point, becoming a good MagicQ programmer is probably going to be a better long term decision than getting good on the Hog 3 system. Neither is bad though, especially given that HES has ironed out pretty much all of the early Hog 3 reliability issues.

Thanks for the input. I've only worked one production using a Chamsys board, and that was for a dance event. The Full Board did run smoothly, and effectively, but unfortunately I do not have the means of purchasing the board. I'm thinking that I should stick with Hog 3PC, because the Whole Hog III is the board that we will be using for concert productions at NCCC for awhile.

Just like the Vector consoles took off when they adopted those... :rolleyes:

Ya, even Disco Biscuits who are a Creative Stage Lighting show did not carry a Compulite console. I remember using a Compulite Sabre 10 years ago or so and have not touched another since. Compared to the HogII which was its main competition it was not even comparable.

Bumping this thread to say I've finally (really) joined the cult of Chamsys!

proxy.php

Nice congratulations! I'm just getting into Chamsys myself. The next thing I need is a touch screen monitor. Is that touchscreen, and if so what model? You think any of the major chain stores (ie Bust Buy) would have them so that I could pick one up locally to use this week?

Nice congratulations! I'm just getting into Chamsys myself. The next thing I need is a touch screen monitor. Is that touchscreen, and if so what model? You think any of the major chain stores (ie Bust Buy) would have them so that I could pick one up locally to use this week?

Best buy might have a few locally, but mostly online, and not necessarily the best deal. You could search on eBay for used equipment, because there are always several touch screens that are very cheap.

So, gonna share some of this Avo's you talked about? ;)

---
- Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I picked up one from NewEgg. I use those on my installs. Welcome to the cult.

And PLSN has run multiple articles about WWE using Chamsys.

Last edited:
I have heard some of the EEETop's have been having USB issues with the Chamsys wings where they may cut in and out randomly. Outside of that, they're amazing for the job.

One of the LDs I once talked to about MagicQ just said that it "is a HogII on steroids/HogII copy" (he is a big Vector guy), I myself am a very happy MagicQ user, am also familiar with MA and like their style too but they just don't fit my budget.

What I also really like about MagicQ is that they are constantly improving, if you bought a wing or a pro console not too long ago you were getting an 18 universe desk, now at no extra cost (except for downloading the updated software) you have a 32 universe desk, and lets not even talk about all the other features that are constantly being added.

/me is a bit shocked at how much he sounds like a fanboy.

In general from what I have seen you mainly need to grasp the concepts and you can work with most desks, and to make (crazy) magic you need to get (a bit) deeper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back