High School TD Needs Help

TDChris

I am a high school theater director with tech classes busting at the seams. Unfortunately, I can't get time for every student to plot/hang/cue a show in the theater. So, I'd like to get my school to purchase some visualization software so students could virtually build/hang/cue scenes from shows as an in-class project. I would also like to use the off-line ETC ION client so that students get virtual training on the light board at the same time.

Two questions:
1. Is this possible?
2. Any recommendations on visualization software to pursue? We are still a PC school, but I would like to push them towards Mac (just a matter of personal preference), so ideas that work in both worlds would be extremely helpful.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the response. I already had it narrowed down to those two, but my bigger question is whether or not anyone has been able to use these programs with the off-line client on the PC/Mac. I used Capture when I trained on the Ion, but I was sitting at a console, not using the off-line client that can be installed on the PC.

Last edited:
Build a light lab?

I tried this back when I taught. I had a ETC Emphasis system. I know visualizers have gotten better, but the kids will spend more time trying to figure out how to work the visualizer then learning how to light. Even then, you don't really get the same look as a real stage. Its not really worth it. You would be better off with a 6'6 pipe grid on boom bases, two 4 pack dimmers, and a handful of fresnels and lekos. For an introductory student they will learn a lot more. Without knowing how to work in a real space a visualizer really won't make sense.

Have to agree with Footer. Kids need hands on real world experience to understand what is going on in the visualizer. Build a light lab... or even two.

Or just fly in an electric and let them mess around with a couple fixtures on it. You don't even need to build a light lab really.

A point of clarification. My students WILL have real-world experience hanging and focusing lights. However, in a high school setting where we perform 6 shows a year, there would be absolutely zero time for us to bring in electrics and let kids mess around with a couple of fixtures (they all learn to patch and run the board from the operating position). In addition, for them to complete projects (even in small groups), it is much easier for these advanced students to learn to use a visualizer. I want them to be able to cue a multi-scene short show or a song...even using more movers and lighting than we have possible. That means, the visualizer is my only real option. Thanks for your feedback, though!

Wow. That's a really amazing program you are running and you are so lucky to have that kind of support from the state/district/administration. Footer and I were clearly thinking you were in a more mortal school situation where people struggle to have enough money in the budget to buy lamps.

Personally I'm a theater manager in a school with a one period a day drama teacher who does two shows a year. Most people around here think we are amazingly lucky to have such a great theater program. I hope in the next year or so to get enough traction in the building to teach a tech theater class for the first time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back