High Schooler looking to phantom power electret headsets

nickelpro

I'm not going to give you my life story, sufice to say my school has a massively funded art/music department with a massively ignored stage crew. As far as I can tell, no one has so much as touched any eletrical system in our theatres (we have two for God's sake) for at least the past 30 years, maybe more.

Out of some meek sense of school pride, I decided to start repairing and upgrading some systems, and teaching the stage crew how to actually use all their equipment (they had been using the same patch for as long as anyone could remember). My current project is the clear-coms, which are in sad shape. I managed to get all the beltpacks working, minus a few signal lights, for a grand total of 3 BP-1s and 5 RS-501s. Their headsets are worse off, ignoring the ripped up padding and the fact that one of the dynamic catridges was cut off because "it made too much noise," they have 6 working and 1 that can only listen (note the catridge bit).

Now, since this is the most ignored bunch in the school, I can only squeeze a few hundred bucks out of them for these repairs, and there are far worse off systems than this. So I want to use electret headsets on two of the packs to avoid having to buy new dynamics. I've looked at dramatech's schematic (http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/sound-music-intercom/21470-countryman-em6-clearcom.html) but I have a few questions.

A. Is that wiring present within the beltpacks? I'm unclear on where I'm doing this

B. I'm thinking not, but would it be possible for me to just jack a modified electret or even a dynamic with 3-pin xlr straight into the clear-com system without a beltpack? I'm admittedly inexperienced with sound systems, but a decent electrician.

C. If anyone else has suggestions or comments, or preferably a much easier way of doing this. All are appreciated

Users who are viewing this thread

Back