Custom(ish) intercom headset.

RadioKnight

Hello, fellow soundpeople. I'm just posting this for anyone who may be interested in assembling their own headset for a three wire intercom system. The headset in the picture shown is a Racing Radios H15 single muff headset, the stock foam ear seal was removed and replaced with a soft gel ear seal and a wicking cloth cover, the stock headband was also removed and replaced with a David Clark Super Soft expanded foam headband.

The H15 also uses a detachable cable for use with handheld radios, but you can make your own cable for a belt pack by getting an old USB cable and soldering a TA5F connector on one end, and soldering a 4-pin female XLR connector on the other end. The pinout for the H15 can be found on the Racing Radio website and made creating a custom cable very easy. The microphone is an M101 dynamic mic, and people on the other end of the intercom can hear me, loud and clear.

I made this headset because I wanted something very comfortable, and it definitely delivers. Even with the non-stock bits, it costs much less than a comparable headset, like a Clear-Com CC-300-X4. I also think it's very durable and will last a very, very long time under normal use.

Custom Headset.jpg

(The red button is a Push-To-Talk button, it is not used.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back