Control/Dimming Hogs (JANDS, etc.)

Horvath

Do JANDS Hogs (the 250, 600, and 500 with the smaller main lcd screen and no palette lcd screens) run the same software (IE the latest Wholehog II software) as the regular hogs (the 500 & 1000) and the JANDS Echelon (the more expensive ones with the larger built-in lcd screen)? What are the most important differences between the various Hogs other than playbacks/palette buttons?

Yup, same software. The only difference is hardware.

EDIT: I lied, no they don't. Hog II is only on the larger desks.

Last edited:
It's rather confusing, but only the Jands Hog 500 and 1000 can run the Wholehog II software.
More here: Jands - Vale Jands Hog . Perhaps most surprising is this:
After fifteen years and six major models, there have been a total of over 3,300 units sold all across the world: 2,500 of which were Hog 500 or Hog 1000s.
That they consider sales of 3,300 units over 15 years to be a success.

Bought one (Jands Hog 1k Echelon) a couple years ago and wasn't a fan. Better off waiting for a Hog II to come around for the right price.

I'm not sure I would buy a Hog 2,
The mainboard is no longer available.
So if it goes bad, you are going to be out of luck, and have to buy a new console.
That being said, if you get one for a good enough price it could be worth it.
Also, if anyone want's a Hog 500 or 1000 I have a few here collecting dust.

If I am not mistaken, didn't High End say that they were not supporting any of the old consoles anymore? Therefore, do not buy an old Hog. If you have one, great! If you wanna rent one, great! They are great consoles, but why spend a lot of money on something that you can't properly maintain when needed?

It's rather confusing, but only the Jands Hog 500 and 1000 can run the Wholehog II software.
More here: Jands - Vale Jands Hog . Perhaps most surprising is this:
That they consider sales of 3,300 units over 15 years to be a success.

Thats intense. I suppose that if your doing a huge show, you go for a GMA for the most part, and if your doing a small one, you hit up an ION or something similar. Having used a Hog 1k, I can see why they have not sold more than 2500 of them. No one I have met thinks they are the best thing out there, a lot of people see it as something that works for what its needed for. Its needlessly complicated and a bit unstable.

I'm not sure I would buy a Hog 2,
The mainboard is no longer available.
So if it goes bad, you are going to be out of luck, and have to buy a new console.
That being said, if you get one for a good enough price it could be worth it.
Also, if anyone want's a Hog 500 or 1000 I have a few here collecting dust.

I WANT one... now whether I have the money is another story.

... Its needlessly complicated and a bit unstable.
The Wholehog II was the predominant concert lighting console for about ten years. For some applications, I actually prefer the Hog 1000 (more faders). I've never found either to be unstable. But would I use either one today? Probably not; there are better options available now.

The Wholehog II was the predominant concert lighting console for about ten years. For some applications, I actually prefer the Hog 1000 (more faders). I've never found either to be unstable. But would I use either one today? Probably not; there are better options available now.

It might be personal experience with specific consoles being unstable, A theater I worked at had to reload at least once a week with our Hog 1k. As for needlessly complicated, I kind of learned on the Congo (complicated) and Ion (simple), so the Hog 1k was a bit too complex for my taste/possibly skill level. I do, however, trust that it was at some point a decent console (mainly because you say so, and the first rule of CB is "Don't Argue with Derek unless your Steve Terry").

... (mainly because you say so, and the first rule of CB is "Don't Argue with Derek unless your Steve Terry").

:oops:

I've played with a Hog once, and for the half an hour I had with it, I found it actually something that I could use, and that was several years ago. (Of course it was only a single Technobeam.) I liked it.

Thanks everyone for the information...

I WANT one... now whether I have the money is another story.
Exactly. If this was a GrandMA budget, or even an Element budget, I wouldn't have started this thread. :lol:

Based on Solaris prices, my only other options are:
-Leprecon LP-X24 (that's nice, but I'd like more playbacks)
-Smartfade ML (I'm only skeptical because there's only one real playback)
-Avolites Azure (membrane button version...)
-Some sketchy crustcore Strand 550i on eBay
And I don't have the time to setup a DIY GrandMA2 onPC computer either.

I might get a little heat for this next comment, but I'm going be honest and say that Solaris is usually kinda high... like 50-100% over actual reasonable street price. Now if you need a product right away, sure it's great place to go. But if you have some time just wait and keep your eyes out. Do lots of research and find out exactly what you want. The worst mistake you can make is spring for something just because it's cheap. After you know what you want watch craigslist and eBay and it will eventually come around.

But I disagree with not buying a HOG II just because HES doesn't support them anymore. There are so many out there used parts will always be available, and almost everybody in that part of the industry knows them meaning it's not hard to find somebody to work on it/help you with it. It's a solid board, and like derekleffew pointed out, it was the industry leader for a long time.

My question to you, though, is what are you looking to do with this board? I noticed your occupation is listed as Undergrad--is this something you are looking into for your school, or personal use? I can tell you from personal experience that HOGs (any) just aren't useful for primarily conventional rigs. My undergrad bought a HOG iPC just after they hit the market, which was really stupid because they didn't own any movers and shows didn't have a lighting budget to rent them. We ended up using our ETC Expression 3 for every show while the iPC sat in the electrics shop.

I might get a little heat for this next comment, but I'm going be honest and say that Solaris is usually kinda high... like 50-100% over actual reasonable street price. Now if you need a product right away, sure it's great place to go. But if you have some time just wait and keep your eyes out. Do lots of research and find out exactly what you want. The worst mistake you can make is spring for something just because it's cheap. After you know what you want watch craigslist and eBay and it will eventually come around.

But I disagree with not buying a HOG II just because HES doesn't support them anymore. There are so many out there used parts will always be available, and almost everybody in that part of the industry knows them meaning it's not hard to find somebody to work on it/help you with it. It's a solid board, and like derekleffew pointed out, it was the industry leader for a long time.

My question to you, though, is what are you looking to do with this board? I noticed your occupation is listed as Undergrad--is this something you are looking into for your school, or personal use? I can tell you from personal experience that HOGs (any) just aren't useful for primarily conventional rigs. My undergrad bought a HOG iPC just after they hit the market, which was really stupid because they didn't own any movers and shows didn't have a lighting budget to rent them. We ended up using our ETC Expression 3 for every show while the iPC sat in the electrics shop.
We have a lot of LED fixtures, two dmx strobes, 12 par64s, and hopefully soon a pair of miniscan HPEs. We do mostly rock shows and dance parties. So I'm just looking for a board that can busk this better than an Express (which was OK, but programming just a few chases for the LED fixtures took a long time. And setting submaster chase rates with a macro and the trackpad was silly).... for around $2500 shipped :oops:.

So I guess I'll just get a Smartfade.

Last edited:
All hogs run the hog software. They all use parts of the same hardware except for the hog II. The hog 250,500,600,1000(echelon) all run hog os. The 500 and 1000 were distributed in the US under Highend systems. It is true that the main boards for the hogII are no longer made due to the components being discontinued the main one being the pentium 2 processor. The other hogs do not use this processor and you can still get components. Light parts can repair all the hogs including the hog II. Highend has dropped support for the hog 2 but not the 500 or 1000. Personally I love the hog it's fast and easy to use. I cannot stand the leprecon lpx consoles. They are mind numbingly slow. I would look for a deal on a hog through gear source or eBay. Solaris is way over priced.

I quite like the newer hogs, particuarly the 3, although I am not sure who actually makes that! The 2 is OK, I really dont like the 500/1k's however as I have always found them to be unstable.

Very odd,
As I have had many small tours out with 500/1000's and never had stability issues.
I suppose it depends on how the gear is maintained.

I ran into stability issues on an echelon once. Turns out they had dropped the console while they were loading into the truck to bring over. I opened it up and reseated all of the ribbon cables and it worked flawlessly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back