Holding GOBOs in GOBO holders ?

JSFox

I'm having a beast of a time getting some A sized gobo's to stay put in some brand new City Theatrical A sized gobo holders. I'd much prefer to put A's in B holders, but not an option this time. I'm tempted to use some black foil tape (Blacktak or similar), but really don't want a bunch of goo in my instruments.

Has anyone come up with any good solutions for this?

Thanks,

Whack it with a hammer. no seriously, whack it with a hammer give it a SSSSSSSLLLLIIIGHt little tweak so it's got the smallest of bends in it should be enough to cause "springlike" tension across the holder thus keeping the gobo in place. Any tape solution is a no no the fumes are icky the burning would release ucky carbons that would deposit on your lenses and who knows ? it might just catch fire. Nope I say whack it with a hammer, Okay , okay okay you can use a crescent wrench if you have to. < sparkys Sheesh >

Along with van, don't be afraid to bend it open then bend it back, setting gobos is kinda an art, same as getting gel in new frames.

Thanks, I'll try a wrinkle tomorrow. No hammers and don't want to damage a good wrench so will probably use an SM58.

I think that a lightronics board would do the trick well. And if you were extraordinarily lucky, you'd break it in the process.

Sorry, just had to add it.

Thanks, I'll try a wrinkle tomorrow. No hammers and don't want to damage a good wrench so will probably use an SM58.

No, You don't want to hurt those precious items in your inventory. Use something from the Colortran line. If that dosen't work with the Gobo, you'll feel better after the fact.

Use Sisalation tape. It's silver and heat resistant. Airconditioning intallators use it, especially in shops.
In US $ It couldn't be more than $8, from any larger hardware store I'd assume... Holds anything anywhere on any light. Try to stick A size gobos in a B size slot? No problem! A bit of bending and a little tape- done!

Thomas, a big question though is what kind of goo will it leave behind?

Exactly ! it's cool stuff I use it all the time, but it is still tape.

Any residue the tape leaves behind can be cleaned off with a little friction- glue will melt, but in the case of sisalation tape it doesn't burn, or worse fall of the light. I'l got a little piece stuck on the Back of an ADB PS51, with a T18 lamp, *right behind the lamp holder* (Because light is spilling through the back grill.) that's been there for about two months- I have no intention of taking it off anytime soon, so I'm not complaining about residue.

As far as using it for gobos goes, since mine are all pie-plates, everything gets chucked out afterwards, and the fixtures get cleaned during the strike. I've used some lee gobos for a barnyard show about two months ago, and when we strike that in January I'll tell you exactly what it does to an ETC Source 4 Jnr!

In my situation, it's incredibly useful stuff.

I have had great success with 3M #23 fiberglass elecectrical tape in holding gels in place. Done it only a few times but without any problems at all in residue or in it melting away. This is the tape I do normal high temperature splice wrapping with thus it was a easy thing within the fixture for such a purpose. Works well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back