Holy LED CTB, Batman!

http://www.euronews.com/2014/11/03/let-there-be-light-sistine-chapel-gets-led-makeover/

From the video:
"Usually, LED lights are perceived as cold, because they're too blue."

The video certainly does nothing to belay that fact. Probably that new radical pope's doing.
Interesting - I got to wondering what light was used when the frescoes were painted - I assume flame - could they all have been painted overly blue to compensate for the lack of blue in the light they were created in? The talking heads also seemed blue, except for the woman toward the end, who seemed less so. Ah well, will have to plan a visit! :)

I believe that, historically, the lighting was from the sun through the windows about half way up the walls.

Yup. >>The chapel though is illuminated with LED light at 3,000 Kelvin,>>

The original EuroNews video is a clear example of a cameraman not understanding how to use the correct White balance on his/her camera. I'm not sure brighter (at any CCT) is better as I think much of the majesty was in the shadows and presence of the space, but at least now you can truely view the artwork in all it's splendor, which is what they were hoping to achieve with more lighting. (and do it without any UV or IR that could degrade it over time).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back