Homework for Miriam... and other new techs

Not a bad start. Going back to my 3 step approach to troubleshooting that I said don't read earlier.

1) Did you just do something that changed it? Well you didn't but you certainly covered a variety of weird things that others could have done.
2) Check the Power... you've got some work to do still in the power department.
3) Follow the signal path. You've done good job starting that. But there are more potentials. I think part of the reason these guys are getting huge numbers is they are thinking about multiple channels on the console, two microphones, two lines to the amp, two speakers... You've got the major signal path issues but there are more.

Give her one more shot guys then dazzle us with your lists.

You mean like what happened to sloop? That the electrician wired the amplifier incorrectly and caused the fuse to blow?

So yeah, that could also happen here.
the electricity goes for the building, or just part of it, or a fuse goes.

But I can't think of what I personally could do to make it work at one time and not another without havng something happen in between. Unless I use a timer, but why would I do that?

And more signal path issues... that have to do with there being two of everything...

The only thing I can think of is more results of carelessness, like mixing up in/out lines. That can happen at any point along the way.

I would love to hear what you all have to say.

If you keep putting us off I am going to have a very long list....

Well, according to gaff's rules, I think you could post your list charc. But I think I still need to wait for permission... Then you can find out. Lets just say, that all my line items are plausible issues...

....hmm I think you just made it on my list.

Can I post my list yet? :rolleyes:

Miriam I was suggesting power issues like:
There is no power coming to the console or amplifier (bad extension cord, circuit breaker tripped, extension cord pulled out from the wall, if you are using a power strip it's turned off or it doesn't work etc...)
The amp is turned off
The console is turned off

I can't tell you how many times I've gone to do something and it doesn't work because there is a power problem.

Sounds like Miriam is giving up and Charc is skeptical. So post your list Alex! Let's see what you've got.

#48 A chicken attacks the console.
#49 A dog attacks the console.
#50 A Wombat attacks the console.
#51 A huge hole in the ground opens up and swallows the entire venue.

My answers, in no particular order:

0 - You are wearing really good earplugs :twisted:
1 - Master volume down
2 - channel volume down
3 - input gain all the way down
4 - Amp gain all the way down
5 - amps off
6 - circuit blown that powers amps
7 - circuit blown that feeds mixer
8 - fuse in amps blown
9 - Mixer suffers from a high impedance air gap*
10 - Amp suffers from a high impedance air gap*
11 - speakers unplugged from amp
12 - mixer unplugged from amp
13 - mics unplugged
14 - mics dead
15 - bad cable to mics
16 - fried channel strip on mixer
17 - blown speakers
18 - bad cable to amps
19 - Mixer off
20 - channel muted
21 - another channel is SOLO'ed (I dont remember if this only goes to headphones on the mackie)
22 - there's a power failure
23 - your mics got moved to a different input
24 - I thought you used a mixer for making cookie dough
25 - I thought a power amp supplies power, you mean I have to plug it in
26 - The output from the mixer was plugged into the output of the Amp
27 - Someone broke one of the blades of your power cord
28 - You are experiencing a brown out and there isn't enough voltage to power your gear.
29 - Your speakers got moved so that they where you were listening from has perfect phase cancellation.
30 - The janitor came in an unplugged your gear so that he could vacuum.
31 - Someone replaced your XLR cables with XLR to 1/4" cable, and that just ain't gonna work.
32 - The janitor ran over your power cords with the vacuum and it sliced the conductors
33 - You forgot to lock the door when you left and someone stole your mixer
34 - The drummer doesn't like the singer, so he disconnected the vocal mics and hooked up his drum mics
35 - The performer lost his voice
gafftaper said:
...the microphone and no sound comes out
36 - Wait, sound doesn't come out of microphones
gafftaper said:
The performer picks up the microphone...
37 - Now why would you ever let the talent do that?
38 - Did you get one of those SM58s with the on off switch? I would check that.
39 - Are you cross patched? Maybe someone put mic 1 on channel 2 and mic two on channel 1.
40 - IEC not fully seated in socket
41 - If not indoors: Is your generator running (well you better catch it)
42 - It helps to put the whisk attachment on the mixer before you beat the eggs.
43 - This isn't a mixer, it's a light board
44 - The fire alarm went off while you were away and shutdown your system (this has happened at my theatre)
45 - You left your coffee mug on the mixer and the vibrations from the janitor vacuuming knocked it over and fried everything.
46 - Your assistant left his soda on the amp rack and it got spilled and fried the amps.
47 - There didn't used to be a big foam sculpture in front of my speakers
48 - The lighting guys took your speaker stands, speakers included to use as light trees.
49 - The lighting guys took your speakers because they wanted a kickin' sound system in the booth
50 - The talent thought the mics were wireless so they unplugged them.
51 - Talent is talking in wrong end of mic
52 - I though phantom power means it just works because I don't need to plug it in
53 - Mackie mixers have two switches in back, make sure you flipped the right one
54 - "Who the hell wants to hear actors talk?" - H.M. Warner, Warner Brothers, 1927
55 - Someone tried to plug the comms line into your mixer to get the show feed. Hmmm, that +30v can do bad things.
56 - The talent brought his own mic, but didn't tell you... You should have ESP and know these things.
57 - You can't stand 20 feet away from the mic and expect to be heard. Duh!
58 - You just felt like being mean because the performer sucks.
59 - The voices in your head don't count
60 - You shouldn't have plugged the sound system into a dimmer, the lighting guys turned off the system and left for the day.
61 - It helps to set up the sound system in the tent, the forecast did say rain...
62 - The Stage Manger hasn't called the cue yet.
63 - But those speakers make my car stereo sound so much better.
64 - You aren't supposed to eat the banana plugs
65 - You stuck the banana plug where?!
66 - Someone switched your amp into bridge mode
67 - Don't you know that you have to say "Testing 1... 2... 3..." before any sound system will work.
68 - How many times do we have to say that charc needs supervision?
69 - Setting up a sound system in the gym at school is a bad idea, that arrow belongs to the archery class, not my mixer...
70 - The sound designer didn't write the cues yet
71 - "Oh, are those my cues?" "Yes, and you better pick them up out of the cellophane before they scorch!"
72 - Who stole the knobs off my mixer?
73 - Maybe the performer should wait until you get back from break so you can turn the system back on.
74 - Stop looking at ControlBooth.com, you have a show to run!
75 - You aren't actually supposed to use that golden XLR to Edison adapter (yes I have one such adapter pined to the wall in my office, and I am not sure why it was ever made.)
76 - Aren't mic cables supposed to have three pins?
77 - Didn't you know, after Aerosmith started making up words to "The Star Spangled Banner" the mics are just for show?
gafftaper said:
The performer picks up the microphone and no sound comes out.
78 - Well of course no sound came out, the performer hasn't said anything yet.
79 - What is that blue smoke coming out of the amps? You know once you let the blue smoke out, things stop working, and you can't put the smoke back in.
80 - The lighting guys unplugged your power distro so that they could hook up theirs for the moving lights.
81 - Why does it smell like BBQ? That's one crispy rat with his teeth in my feeder cable.
82 - This is a sound console, you can't plug the ML data cable in here!
83 - Who put these DMX terminators in my mixer?
84 - Just because it takes 3-pin XLR doesn't mean you can plug a littlelight in there.†
85 - The performer is speaking in ASL
86 - Where did all these screws come from? Who took the guts out of my mixer?

*High impedance air gap = unplugged
†This raises an interesting question, can you power an XLR littlelight with a phantom powered mic input on a mixer?

Maybe the next test is to put these in order of probability, then in order of easiest to fix, then in order of most humorous.

48 - The lighting guys took your speaker stands, speakers included to use as light trees.
49 - The lighting guys took your speakers because they wanted a kickin' sound system in the booth
50 - The talent thought the mics were wireless so they unplugged them.

there great :)

No, I have asked this question to people that design these things.

The IEC standard gives 10 mA as the maximum allowed current per microphone.

Most Littlites range from 1 to 5 watts.
Also the fact that phantom power is 48vdc and Littlites are 12vac, so even if the current weren't limited, the bulb would not last long at 400% over-voltage.

Also the fact that phantom power is 48vdc and Littlites are 12vac, so even if the current weren't limited, the bulb would not last long at 400% over-voltage.
They do interestingly enough make lites for use in motor vehicles that use 12 volts DC.
Maybe an external 12 volt phantom power supply would work, but that defeats the whole idea of convenience.
I am still working on the concept of a battery powered light that charges with phantom power while not being used.

So I need to make sure everything is plugged in correctly.
And that all cables are the correct cable for that piece of equipment.
And that all cables work.
And that all connections are going from the correct place to the correct place.
And that all the equipment along the path is positioned correctly.
And that all the equipment along the path is on.
And that nothing is in front of/on top of/plugged into any piece of equipment that would block/affect the path of the sound.
And that nothing got broken.
Then I should check the power, that there is power in general, and enough power for what I have set up, and all the fuses are doing what they are supposed to do.

That's a pretty good summary of the situation Miriam.

Of course you also have a room full of people looking at you wondering what's taking you so long to turn on the microphone... so hurry up. ;)

Gafftaper,
Thank you for an excellent excersize. Now that we have figured out what could likely be wrong, (and a few unlikely prospects, thank you Alex:grin:) how do we find the problem to fix it? Perhaps your next excersize should be "how do you most efficiently troubleshoot this problem?" What do we check first? ect

I don't know, it seems that the Steven Wright concept that somebody stole everything and replaced it with exact duplicates is missing. Or that you actually walked into the wrong room. Or into a parallel universe.

Last edited:
yeah this was great fun i should think of one, that boils down to the desk being unplugged

BTW, if anyone can tell me where #71 come from they get 10 points.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back