House Light Dimming Issue

josh88

Remarkably Tired.
Fight Leukemia
I can't figure this out, though I'm running on very little sleep this week so that may be it, which is why I'm bringing this here. I've got a spot of houselights that are dead. It's one strip of seating, 3 pars and that's consitant with one dimmer the way things are set up. I've determined which dimmer it is, but according to the rack (ETC)that dimmer isn't getting signal. I've swapped out modules (after LOTO) without any success, I've patched it to another channel to make sure, but it clearly isn't that that particular dimmer is bad. I've got no other problems and the rack doesn't show any issues.

Why would they be like this? I can't imagine that I lost all three of those lamps and they just need to be replaced, though they've been out for awhile and I'm just now getting to that on my list so I guess it could be that they need changing, but I wouldn't think I'd lose all three at the same time. I feel like it's something to do with the fact that it's showing no signal when it should be receiving one. Any ideas?

have you tried changing the light bulbs?

No, that is why I said it's still possible it could be that, however given the rate at which my lights fail I don't think that's the problem the way it's affecting all three on the dimmer. Because they are over the seats I haven't had time and Maintenance hasn't checked either so it's still on the list.

What rack and processor are you using. We had issues of the cem3+ module forgetting part of its patch.

ETC 96 with a classic CEM.

Check that your center patch is still good, your dmx number should line up with module number in chart, not sure if there is a screen since I've only worked with cem2s and up.

Check that your center patch is still good, your dmx number should line up with module number in chart, not sure if there is a screen since I've only worked with cem2s and up.

I only have a vague idea of what you mean. I will note that the other dimmer in the module ALSO shows that it's not getting signal though the lights on that dimmer are just fine and are obviously gettting signal despite the what the light on the module indicates.

excuse my phone typo's,

Check the CEM patch. find out what slot that dimmer is in, and make sure the corresponding number is attached to a DMX address in the CEM processor. I' not sure if they have a screen on the original CEM's but if they do it should be fairly simple to find that info. otherwise a call to ETC tech support will help. I have a feeling its in the CEM system and not the rack itself.

So both green "Signal" LEDs aren't lit on the D20AF module? On any module you stick in that slot? I'd call ETC at 1.800.688.4116 during non-emergency hours. Sounds like a backplane or edge connector issue in the rack. But if not too difficult, change at least one of the three lamps in question to rule that out.

So both green "Signal" LEDs aren't lit on the D20AF module? On any module you stick in that slot? I'd call ETC at 1.800.688.4116 during non-emergency hours. Sounds like a backplane or edge connector issue in the rack. But if not too difficult, change at least one of the three lamps in question to rule that out.

That's right. Neither LED is lit, though one of the slots works just fine. I'll poke around with it on monday and looks like maybe I'll have to give them a call.

Definitely change at least one of the lamps to rule that out. I once spent three hours troubleshooting a circuit problem that turned out to be lamps. The users just didn't notice them going out until the whole row was out.

On the CEM front, you can use the dimmer key on the CEM to force the dimmer in question on. Its Dimmer # at 100 Enter. It will bypass the console and send direct control from the rack. If the signal light doesn't come on when you do that, there is a problem with that ribbon cable or firing card. Also, remember to clear the rack command when you are done (Dimmer # at Clr Enter), otherwise the console will not be able to control the circuit until you do. The screen should say "Not Set" if you did it right.

Something just came to mind as I was typing this: Is there an error message saying that slot or dimmer has overheated? The rack won't let that circuit come up until you clear out that error. Hold down the Clr button until the LCD screen says System OK. Then try to bring up the circuit in question.

Good Morning Josh

Try SETTING the dimmer from the CEM
press the blue DIMMER button, select the dimmer number, AT , (a level like) 50 , ENTER
check for the SIGNAL light.
then press AT, CLEAR, ENTER to " NOT SET " that dimmer
if someone had SET these dimmers & set them to 00 ( AT, 0, ENTER ) the CEM will not listen to the outside world

the blue ABOUT option is a safe way to see if there is an issue.
option 1-dimmer, then punch in the dimmer #, ENTER, & right arrow til you get to LEVEL
if there is a letter after the number, like S , then the dimmer is SET.
You can always RESET the CEM if you think it a setting

Good Luck

Yeah I had already tried the above earlier. Overriding at the rack still didn't turn on the signal or the lights. I tried that while I was swapping dimmer modules. And I haven't had any error messages.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Can you put at least one of the non-functional fixtures on a separate channel/circuit/dimmer?

When you swapped modules, the "new" module had the same symptoms, correct?

You can always RESET the CEM if you think it a setting

That sounds like something I'd want as a very VERY last resort. And not something to try until you knew EXACTLY what was going happen, and was prepared for it.

That sounds like something I'd want as a very VERY last resort. And not something to try until you knew EXACTLY what was going happen, and was prepared for it.

I think he means reboot the rack, not reset the rack. Rebooting will clear any CEM override messages.

Can you put at least one of the non-functional fixtures on a separate channel/circuit/dimmer?

When you swapped modules, the "new" module had the same symptoms, correct?

The new known working module swapped into that slot still had the same issues as the "old" module. and patching those separately from everything else didn't change anything either. I'm planning on calling ETC on monday probably when I get into work just for good measure.

Sounds like a backplane or edge connector issue in the rack. But if not too difficult, change at least one of the three lamps in question to rule that out.

Agreed. Had this issue a few weeks ago when we installed our backup CEM (it got configured as SR24 instead of SP24). This caused all sorts of issues that we originally though were due to the soft patch being wrong but ended up being because the CEM thought it was working with an installed rack, when in reality it is a portable rack. You haven't replaced your CEM recently, have you?

Re: Dead Lamps.
I just had three lobby lamps (MR11 if it matters) die in two days, and they also run off a dimmer rack. It is possible to lose an unusual number of lamps in a short period.

Re: Dead Lamps.
I just had three lobby lamps (MR11 if it matters) die in two days, and they also run off a dimmer rack. It is possible to lose an unusual number of lamps in a short period.

How long have those lamps be installed and were they from the same package? If the lamps are the 12V and have the voltage reducer, maybe something went bad in that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back