House light revamp suggestions?

Ravenswift

I'm new here so bear with me please!

I am the new TD at my former high school, and am looking for a solution to revamp my house lights. Currently I have 5 rows of DMX controlled incandescent bulbs, totaling to about 950 bulbs...most of these are 15w bulbs (14.3 kW) but a few of them are 25w. Maybe I am simply inexperienced, but isn't this just insane? Is there an LED solution such as an LED strip that might could replace these 950 bulbs? Something that doesn't use near as much power but still looks good and dims?

Yes. Without knowing a little more - like how are the 15-25 watt lamps really effective in an auditorium - it's hard to be more specific. Ultimately, you could measure the existing lighting, pick some strips, and calculate how they would do in a computer model. You should be changing from dimmers to constant power and data - DMX - to the LED drivers (power supplies) and it would save energy (and free up a few dimmers for something else perhaps.) But its not a question that could be answered easily without knowing mounting, distances, etc.

I guess my terminology/vocabulary needs some work as well. I have a rack full of ETC D20s (not CC20s like i thought). I suppose pictures of the current setup might help narrow things down a little as well?

Hopefully you won't have to settle for LEDs on mains dimming. If you do, you'll be best off finding some lamps and going to ETC's website to see if they have tested it on any or all of their dimmers and see how it performed. Ig you find a retro fit lamp you'd like to use, they'd probably test it. Possible you might get better dimming by replacing the D20s with one of their ELV modules - but not always. Going to an LED strip - that will require constant voltage and data (DMX). Inevitably, the latter solution will provide better dimming performance - smoothest possible form full off to full on and back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back