How can I record a worship service for cheap?

I think that a Lexicon Alpha may be the ticket for you, especially if you're on a tight budget. You could use 1 mic and 1 Line Input, 2 Line Inputs, or record directly without a mixer inbetween.

There are a number of ways to get a recording off of the mixer - using the RCA outputs that you originally mentioned is one way. Doing it this way will exactly duplicate the mix going to the main speakers (which may or may not be what you want...often this is not the case).

My recommendation is to use one Aux Send from the mixer (so that you can control the levels of each channel going to the recording) AND a microphone connected directly to the audio interface. You'll probably need to line the board mix and the mic feed up in the recording software (just make sure the audio waveforms begin at the same place...that'll take care of it). Blend the two to taste and you've got your recording. Maybe experiment with light compression on the whole mix...the options are endless!

Let us know how it goes. :)

okay so ive been recording for a while now with audacity as my program and with the audiogram 3 converter been getting some great music recordings. now im wanting to up the anti on a little better program.with audacity when i record when the performer hits a higher note it maxes out on the program like the sound goes bigger then what can be recorded on the program so im wanting to get something that i can get the full sound without maxing the program out and making the recording cut in and out anybody know of a good program i can pickup for between 50-100$??

That's gonna happen on every program your gain settings need to be tweeked not get a new program.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

okay so ive been recording for a while now with audacity as my program and with the audiogram 3 converter been getting some great music recordings. now im wanting to up the anti on a little better program.with audacity when i record when the performer hits a higher note it maxes out on the program like the sound goes bigger then what can be recorded on the program so im wanting to get something that i can get the full sound without maxing the program out and making the recording cut in and out anybody know of a good program i can pickup for between 50-100$??

What do you mean by maxing out? If you mean clipping, when the incoming signal overloads what the sound card can handle, getting a better recording program won't fix the issue. Either turn down the recording level or use a compressor on the vocals.

Compression is your friend. If you can't compress at the console (which I would very much recommend), the other options are to put a comp inline to the recorder or to turn the recording feed down.

The more you can control your dynamics at the channel strip, the easier life will be, both live and recording. Everything tends to sit in the mix pocket much better. You can of course go too far and squash the life out of it, but with the right adjustments it's no problem.

The old dbx 160X is quite popular (I have a bunch of the card version, the 903, at my church and love them); I also like the BSS DPR-402 and 404 for vocals (they have de-essers, very valuable for vocals).

Looking at your context, it's probably impractical to introduce individual-channel compression. I believe your mixer is an EMX312 box mixer, which probably doesn't have channel inserts or other features you'd want for recording or better performance use. You could easily spend many times more than what the EMX is worth to replace it with a better console, outboard, and system-processing and power amplifiers (even before addressing the speaker system and the room, which could cost a similar amount). The most practical solution is to turn down the recording feed so the biggest peaks don't clip the recording chain.

NOOOO!!!!!

Only record the dry, unprocessed signal. If you want to add compression do that in post. If you're clipping the signal simply turn down the gain. Pretty basic gain structure principles...

Very true when you're tracking. Some guys go as far as to track their electric guitars straight out of the guitar, no pedals, no amp (to get the playing right), and then reamp it through their pedals and amp in post so it can be fixed or changed.

But for a 2tk live mix, you just about have to get it right at the console the first time. Dynamics, EQ, effects, mix, all of that. Talking about individual-channel compression here, not overall mix -- which you're right on that, it's better to not compress the overall mix post-console for recording (though I would put in a brick wall just before the recorder's clipping point, so if you do get a huge peak, the limiter will catch it before the soundcard clips).

Since this thread is about recording from a box mixer, individual compression is out, as is tracking. The only option is to turn the feed down (or, if bad gain structure is at fault, fix that). It's always best to have a bit of headroom when recording to computer, as you can apply some gain in post to bring it up but you can't unclip in post.

okay yes clipping is what i have..so i understand turn the gain down yeah thats pretty basic and turn down the recording volume but i guess i needa find the right mix your talking about because i can turn down the recording volume but then it seems to quiet when i put it on my ipod and it has static in the background..if i turn down the gain knob in a live performance then i get looks from the worship leader or memebers of the audience to crank the vocals up ive got the instrument dialed in so i guess its just a thing of playting with the mix..that works i can do that thanks..do any of you guys record with audacity??? do you mess with the gain and recording volume itself in the program? or just leave it all at default and adjust at the console?...and just out of curiosity what program do you guys record with and what did it cost??

okay yes clipping is what i have..so i understand turn the gain down yeah thats pretty basic and turn down the recording volume but i guess i needa find the right mix your talking about because i can turn down the recording volume but then it seems to quiet when i put it on my ipod and it has static in the background..if i turn down the gain knob in a live performance then i get looks from the worship leader or memebers of the audience to crank the vocals up ive got the instrument dialed in so i guess its just a thing of playting with the mix..that works i can do that thanks..do any of you guys record with audacity??? do you mess with the gain and recording volume itself in the program? or just leave it all at default and adjust at the console?...and just out of curiosity what program do you guys record with and what did it cost??

I've used audacity to record and its within the software once you get it close with the board.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back