How is this effect achieved?

Just curious to how this effect is done. It's a clip from the latest TSO tour. Right past the 2 minute mark you'll notice the darkened shadow effect on lasers. Just wondering how this is done?
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

YouTube - TSO-First Snow

Thanks
Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
When the laser is a really narrow beam you can see it in the air no problem. When they fan the laser out wide then it's harder to see without hitting some sort of particulate in the air (fog or haze). About 1:40 you see a bunch of dry ice fog creeping it's way across the stage. Unlike all the haze that is already in the air, that dry ice fog is unevenly distributed and more like clouds. When the fanned out laser hits the fog it really pops. Where it doesn't hit fog it looks like it's in shadow.

Welcome to Control Booth Dan! Please stop in the New Member Board and introduce yourself... and thanks for the video link. I've got a 6 year old who is going to freak out when I show it to him.

Last edited:
Dan,

Welcome to the booth!

I see what gafftaper is referring to, but am I correct that you're talking about that wave effect right at the 2 minute mark? That's much too uniform to be a mixture of haze and dry ice fog.

I'm curious about this effect too. It seems to defy logic.

Dan,
I see what gafftaper is referring to, but am I correct that you're talking about that wave effect right at the 2 minute mark? That's much too uniform to be a mixture of haze and dry ice fog.

I would agree that there has to be something else thats in the air besides haze/dry ice fog. Could they ever be using something like a series of snow machines? I feel like that would allow for the falling effect and still potentially break up before it hit the audience.

Wow Les I hadn't even noticed that at first. It's only there from about 2:01-2:07 A curling wave of shadow, most visible on the farther reaches of the beam. I was originally looking at the clouds of fog at the center of the shot, and didn't see it. Yeah that pretty much defines the laws of physics in my head. It appears TSO has developed the ability to temporarily alter the speed of light.

I wonder if it's an optical illusion created by the lasers all being in the same plane and panning through each other while they gradually moving one "shaft of darkness" across the stage and back. The curved wave thus being just a solid shaft of black that is having the curve part filled in by the overlapping lasers from other angles. Words kind of fail to describe this don't they?

Last edited:
My guess is it's a moire pattern formed by the lasers diffusing through the haze. I think it might be a fluke event in this video. I would think if it could be reproduced at will then it would have been used more frequently. It is possible to build a rig to deliberately produce moire patterns. This picture is from a research paper on techniques for examining solder joints.

proxy.php

And this is some guy playing around with a pocket laser and a butane lighter.

proxy.php

My guess is it's a moire pattern formed by the lasers diffusing through the haze. I think it might be a fluke event in this video. I would think if it could be reproduced at will then it would have been used more frequently. It is possible to build a rig to deliberately produce moire patterns. This picture is from a research paper on techniques for examining solder joints.

proxy.php

And this is some guy playing around with a pocket laser and a butane lighter.

proxy.php

Found a show which was recorded 9 days later at a different venue and also a different angle. The effect is still visible here as well, right around 1:50. Any clues?

YouTube - First Snow - Trans-Siberian Orchestra

I don't believe this is a fluke either. I've seen TSO for the past couple of years and I wouldn't be surprised that they can accomplish an effect such as this. I'm betting that this is well within the capabilities of the laser units they use.

Anybody from the TSO organization on CB willing to educate our curiosity?

I watched it a couple times and it looks like it's in the video screens to me. Just another layer of video effect. I'll bet they use the same effect but a different pattern.

To me it looks like the 'cone' effect you get from a ring gobo. The interesting part of it is they can control where the light starts and stops. Perhaps it is an effect with in the laser, Instead of being parallel it angles them together and they dross paths in mid air. Kind of like turning the ring into a very shallow ellipse.

I would also say that it doesn't look like a fluke. Several of the units do it, and it's a very uniform sweep. I don't think it's video - it looks to be mid air. The ring gobo is an idea, but usually you get a straight shaft of shadow. It's been a while since I've read up on diffraction gratings, liquid sky and such.

gafftaper, you crack me up!

It looks to be an artifact from the Video Camera to me. I don't think you would have seen that standing in the audience.

It looks to be an artifact from the Video Camera to me. I don't think you would have seen that standing in the audience.

I don't know, I got video from 2 concerts at 2 different venues 9 days apart and from different angles. It is the same on both clips. My reply which is post #7 has a link to the second clip. Take a look it's right around 1:50.

I can't help with that effect, BUT WOW was that an amazing show. It was almost 3 hours and I have never ever been to a better concert that that one. They went with a lot more lED this year than in the years past. Fewer light but a better show.

It looks like a special gobo in a gobo-rotater to me...

Except that it directly interacts with the laser. And lasers don't do gobos. Just makes me (and everyone else, apparently) wonder, how do they get that curved beam effect?

I don't think it is a video camera artifact. It appears very deliberate and happens with several units on two different shows.

Except that it directly interacts with the laser. And lasers don't do gobos. Just makes me (and everyone else, apparently) wonder, how do they get that curved beam effect?

I don't think it is a video camera artifact. It appears very deliberate and happens with several units on two different shows.

It is in the laser units. That effect is done several times during the show. You can see it better in a clip of the "Mad Russian" song. The effect goes on longer in that one. How it is done I don't know, but I bet it has several steps in creating it with several mirrors and motors. If you think about it as a concept that a lighting design is saying where light is supposed to be, the opposite is true that you are also designing where the light will not be. I've been told that a really good light designer is more of a shadow designer.

Ken Pogin
Production / Tour Manager
Minnesota Ballet

Users who are viewing this thread

Back