How many Smartpack wall mount racks can I LAN together

Esoteric

How many Smartpack Wallmount Racks can I LAN together using DMX control only?

Mike

I'd guess a minimum of 31 racks, and if you need more, you probably should consider a different product line (or adding an opto-splitter).

Hahaha... Well, I have to have 1.2kW dimmers, or else I would use the Sensor line.

Well, I have to have 1.2kW dimmers, or else I would use the Sensor line.
What need does a 1.2kW dimmer fulfill that a 20A doesn't?

-----

DMX is limited to 32 devices.
Chase, it's a little more complicated than that. From DMX512 - AusChristmasLighting Wiki :
Node Limit
The RS485 standard specifies the maximum number of nodes (dimmers, controller, etc) you can have in a single DMX chain. This is specified as 32 "load units". Traditionally, one RS485 receiver (sometimes referred to as a DMX chip) was equivalent to one "load unit". This meant that you could have 31 receivers in the chain, as the transmitter also counts as a unit.

Newer variants of the venerable MAX485 IC have a load rating of 1/4 or 1/8. This means that you can use 4 or 8 times as many of them on a single line. In practice it is best to assume that each device still represents one load unit, as there is no easy way of knowing without checking the IC type and looking up its data sheet.

Please note that this node limit applies to each single DMX chain. On an active splitter, each output is independent and capable of driving another 31 load units (the splitter counts as one).

Chase, it's a little more complicated than that.

ok. I has read somewhere on here that it was limited to 32 (from JD I think) but I didn't know there was any chips that could allow you to have more then that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Power feed requirements.

I have several 40A three phase breakers. But to pull in a 400A three phase would take....... Days... Maybe weeks...

They are just like any other DMX based device in those terms, so 31 racks. If you need that many, let me know and I can help you get them set up.

You don't need to feed a sensor rack with 400 amps. It is only limited to 800amps 3 phase power max. I have seen a full sr48 fed with 100amps 3 phase power because that was all the load that it had on it. (This was an architectural situation where the loads didn't fluctuate - so this may not apply...)

Yeah, this is a plugging situation. So I don't know how I feel about feeding it less than its max possible draw.

alternatively you could load up a sr-6 with 10 amp dimmer modules.....

But several Sensor racks will be slightly more costly than the smartpacks.... :)

Yes they would.

Totally unrelated, but what would the draw be for a three phase Sensor setup with 62 10A dimmers (32 modules) and 4 AFMs?

210A per phase?

alternatively you could load up a sr-6 with 10 amp dimmer modules ...
At the beginning of this thread I looked for 10A Sensor modules, and all I found was the L10 Dual 10A Low Wattage Dimmer Module. Would that be the proper one, or is there an undocumented D10 or D10AF? Previously, an ETC spokesperson has commented that there's virtually no cost savings associated with using less than 20A modules.
-----
Esoteric, since you have partial infrastructure in place, SmartPack likely makes sense. If starting from scratch however, Sensor is probably more cost effective, in a largish system. Out of curiosity, how many 10A dimmers are you thinking?
-----
...210A per phase?
206.67A per leg. But remember, you don't HAVE to feed the dimmer rack with its full faceplace rating. See NEC 2011 520.27(C), and also the article at http://www.controlbooth.com/wiki/Collaborative+Articles:Dimmer+feeds--How+much+power+is+enough .

Last edited:
This one would be 48 10A dimmers. And yes, they already have the 6 40A three phase breakers already in place.

Yes, I would like to know if there is a 10A module. I kind of took jm's word for it since he works for the ETC power up guys down here.

I have another project where 10A modules in a Sensor rack would be great (it has several 225A three phase breakers already in place).

We are in the prime renovation season. New installs begin in January.

This one would be 48 10A dimmers. And yes, they already have the 6 40A three phase breakers already in place.

Yes, I would like to know if there is a 10A module. I kind of took jm's word for it since he works for the ETC power up guys down here.

I have another project where 10A modules in a Sensor rack would be great (it has several 225A three phase breakers already in place).

We are in the prime renovation season. New installs begin in January.

Some random thoughts:

There is no cost advantage to using 10a dimmers in a Sensor. Unlike the old LMI quad cards, you still only get 48 module slots in a full sized install rack. And it matters not how much power you provide.

The issue then becomes real estate for a full size rack, as well as HVAC issues as compared to distributed.

Seems that if you have the infrastructure for shoebox packs, then that can be cost effective. Note though that a lot of shoebox are Triacs, which tend to be noisier (electronically) then regular SSR's with better chokes, which is one of the reasons the SSR systems are more expensive. Are you sharing power with audio ?.

Then consider that with shoebox you have a more complicated data distro scheme and you'd have to decide on old-school DMX everywhere (if the packs only take DMX, and Smartpack don't take Net2/3) or to do Cat5 and buy nodes to get DMX near the packs. That can add up in terms of infrastructure and hardware. And maybe check that the packs continue to pass DMX with zero power as daisy'ing 30 packs off one DMX line is sketchy ?.

Then there's the continuous load issues. The distro breakers feeding the 40a outlets are not likely to be continuous rated, thus you downrate them by 20% for over 3hr use. So it's really a 32 amp breaker. Factor that into the equation in terms of add'l dimmers needed for the expected demand load.

Last edited:
I agree with what you're saying, SteveB, except I wouldn't lump SmartPack Wall Mount Racks in with shoebox dimmers. We're not talking about the SmartModule here.

Yeah, shoe boxes are completely out of the question. That is why I am looking at SmartPacks.

I am not talking about 40A outlets, I am talking about 40A 3 phase breakers.

There can be an advantage to using 10A dimmers in a Sensor. For example in the other project I have 225A to power 60 odd circuits. So being able to put 10A modules in a Sensor rack would be perfect. I don't want to use 20A dimmers because then there would be a chance of pulling too much power through the system.

ok. I has read somewhere on here that it was limited to 32 (from JD I think) but I didn't know there was any chips that could allow you to have more then that.

Even without the MAX chips, you could tie 30 opto-splitters on. If each had 4 outputs, and each string had 30 dimmers, movers, etc. you would total 3600 units.

Also, a 96 channel rack with a common CEM only counts as one !

As you can see, even off the shelf equipment allows for almost unlimited data loading using "star" topology. Only single runs with standard chips have the limit.

As you can see, even off the shelf equipment allows for almost unlimited data loading using "star" topology. Only single runs with standard chips have the limit.

I was just thinking single run when I said that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah, shoe boxes are completely out of the question. That is why I am looking at SmartPacks.

I am not talking about 40A outlets, I am talking about 40A 3 phase breakers.

Its the breakers that need to be down-rated. Most breakers/electrical systems are designed to hold their max load for a total of 3 hours. After that, they will theoretically trip. If you intend on loading them endlessly, you can only load them up to 80% of their max power. So, as Steve said, a 40 amp breaker becomes 32 amps. It has nothing to do with the method of connection to the service panel. You can get continuous load breakers that will allow you to use 100% of the power 100% of the time, however cooling needs to be taken into account.

There can be an advantage to using 10A dimmers in a Sensor. For example in the other project I have 225A to power 60 odd circuits. So being able to put 10A modules in a Sensor rack would be perfect. I don't want to use 20A dimmers because then there would be a chance of pulling too much power through the system.

The point is you will only be able to load up the system to the 225a amount. Use all 20amp modules you will be able to load 33 circuits fully. If you go beyond that, your disconnect trips. However, in a traditional setting this is really not a problem. ETC did a study a few years back and found that most modern venues put no more then a 1500w load on most dimmers. Therefore, at the "average" load, you can load up 54 dimmers, getting you really closed to that 60 mark. Bust down to 575 watt lamps and you will never hit it. The same thing is done in houses all the time. Most house have a 100 amp service. However, they might have 150 amps of distrobution. They assume that at no time will you be running the dishwasher, hot water heater, a/c, and have every single outlet in the house fully loaded at the same time. Its the same concept.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back