Microphones How to Hang a Short Condenser for Choir

I was at a local church doing some work and the pastor asked me to give advice for his choir mics. It seems they don't work very well. Well, the first thing I noticed is that they were using some short AT condensers and since the were hanging from the ceiling, the were pointed straight down. They were cardioid patterned.

My question is how can you attach these to the mic cable and allow them to get a tilt?

I appreciate any guidance. Thanks.

Many of the AT mics come with a metal mount designed exactly for this (see the link below). If these are the similar to the ones you have, you might want to see if the mounts are just stored some place, of if you can buy the mounts from an AT dealer.

Aside from that, fishing line or tie line can be used to achieved you desired result. It can be a bit maddening to get it all set though.

Audio-Technica - Microphones, headphones, wireless microphone systems, noise-cancelling headphones & more : PRO 45 Cardioid Condenser Hanging Microphone

~Dave

Last edited:
That is a good product, but if your mics are like the link I posted, they will be too small for that mount. It is designed for the "pencil" type condenser mics.

~Dave

use two wire ties to attach the threaded part of the clip upside down on the mic cable about 6 to 8 inches above the connector. (loop room) cinch the wire ties tight but allow the cable to roll under the tie.
plug the microphone in and put it in the clip so that it's weight is centered.
Make certain that the xlr latch is engaged with the mic.
You can now pan the mic right or left by rolling the cable under the wire ties.

mic hang.jpg

Last edited:
Your cable has been hanging for awhile so it should be pretty stable. If anyone tries this technic with a fresh installation, let the cable settle for a day or two before aiming.

Coat Hanger and a little gaff is what i use unless the mics come with something already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back