How to make a wall look old - painting techniques?

Checkov

My first post!

Looks like a great place for theatre - i look forward to posting/reading here.

I need to make some set walls look old for a low budget stage set (The Caretaker) - looking for walls like the 2nd, 4th or 5th photos from this page:

http://indiapiedaterre.com/2011/02/23/old-walls-or-made-to-look-that-way/

The walls are built out of luan and wood framing. Not much dressing on the walls, some cheap trim.

Any ideas/techniques appreciated on how to paint/create such effects would be very appreciated! If there is a thread I should read please direct me.

Thanks.

Here's one way (not quite those specific looks):
  1. base in the lighter color
  2. make a glaze of a darker color by adding clear acrylic (Rosco brand) or other clear glaze to paint. Experiment with the mixture.
  3. spray or brush water unevenly on the dry base coat. I like to use more water toward the center of the flat so the corners will take more glaze and be darker.
  4. with a wet brush, brush the glaze on the water-wet areas
  5. use a sponge or rag to dab or scrub some of the glaze back off. It will come off more where there's more water.

Just scumbling will get you a long way toward some of those looks - take a brush in each hand, fairly wet with different colors, and just kind of squoosh the colors together in fan shapes as you are painting. For a more realistic look, be sure to think about why the wall looks the way it does, and where it is interacted with. For example, around light switches and door frames may be dirtier. I like to do this by painting a base coat in a darker shade and, after letting the top coat dry a bit, wipe away some of it with a wet sponge.
One of my favorite techniques for water-damaged or mildewy looks is to wet the surface and then spray layers of green, black, and/or brown spray paint towards the top of the piece while spraying water on it.

For your stucco look on the 2nd,4th and 5th. Try adding some paint to drywall compound and throwing globs at it intentionally leaving voids or peaking with a flat mason trowel. Then take a trowel and "knock" it down. Sometimes you need to wait a little while for it to stiffen. You can rake a notched trowel or other tools to get some linear feel. Then use variations of base color, glaze color (color and clear acrylic), (and those mentioned above) also a light sanding sometimes will let a lighter color show through like 2 or 5.
Try several test areas to see which gives the effect you like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back