How to supply power to a speaker on a platform that is on tracks

Can the audience detect that the sound is coming from the record player or would a pan effect between two stationary speakers do the trick? Other alternatives include a battery-powered speaker, something akin to model railroad track, or a slip ring.
It’s a point source Audi thing. Planning it through the foh arrays won’t don anythint. What’s a slip ring

How much does the tracked platform move? Is having an extra loop of cable behind/adjacent to the moving platform an option, or does the assembly move multiple times in one act (so it couldn't easily be reset)? That would probably be the easiest solution. As long as you're running the power, may as well drape an XLR along with it (or a speaker cable, whichever).

You can always do a powered speaker tied into an inverter off of a deep-cycle marine battery.

Depending on how much SPL you need, it's probably easier though to do this with an off-the-shelf Bluetooth rechargeable speaker.

It’s a point source Audi thing. Panning it through the foh arrays won’t do any thing. What’s a slip ring?
@Brenden Friedel A slip ring is the AC or data equivalent of a commutator. Normally a commutator is segmented and used in DC applications whereas a slip ring is an electrically continuous ring designed to convey AC or data from a stationary part to a rotating shaft. United Equipment Accessories in the U.S. are, or were, major manufacturers of slip rings from a couple of inches in diameter out to something in the area of 4'. They also manufactured slip connections for hydraulics and water including rings for fire department ladder trucks capable of passing high volumes of firefighting water to feed hoses and nozzles atop truck based 60' ladders. Their rings were passing both motion control as well as communications and water to fire fighters atop their aerial ladders. At the time I was purchasing from them, between 1990 and 1996, United Equipment Accessories had ZERO standard products, every ring was a custom built assembly with an appreciable lead time; you told them your requirements, they faxed back a price and shipping date. In my experience their products were neither cheaply constructed nor overpriced and they never promised a shipping date earlier than they could deliver. Personally I ALWAYS found their products to be good value, extremely well designed and built and ALWAYS arrived at my door on the date promised.
United Equipment Accessories, GREAT people to deal with. Our shop used their AC and data rings for a variety of projects ranging from 40' diameter turntables to spin new GM vehicles at car and truck shows as well as for a rotating news set for Canada's CTV national news and at least 3 iterations of the large, automated pyro spewing pinball machine in The Who's rock opera Tommy for a North American international tour, Offenbach Frankfurt Germany and London England's west end.
United Equipment Accessories; remember them if their products are within your budget and timeline.
(NO! I don't work for them and never have.)
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

To clear up the idea is to have the platform come on stage center then split into two to shkw the scenes inside the apartment. Its a record player so i kinda like the idea of mounting it into the wall though

Lot of them still have an 1/8" input you can drive from a wireless IEM. No custom fabrication of a speaker/inverter/battery system required.
This is my option . Or you could get a powered speaker that already has a battery built in. There are lots of portable PA units around like this.

You can always do a powered speaker tied into an inverter off of a deep-cycle marine battery.

Depending on how much SPL you need, it's probably easier though to do this with an off-the-shelf Bluetooth rechargeable speaker.

This is the solution all of the street performers in downtown Vegas use, and they get power for hours.

Alternatively, the pan idea is the most sophisticated and could be "maximized" by using six small speakers installed a far downstage as possible, then recording the effect in multichannel and playing it back through a surround processor, affording you three channels for each side and a fairly detailed pan effect

I have done this gag with both powered speakers and LED lights.
We use APC UPS units to power the devices. They ride on the wagon and provide AC for quite some time.
For my LED lighting gag I only needed 20 min, but the 1500W APC UPS ran the lights for 3 hours in our tests.
A powered speaker draws even less and should run for a long time without needing a charge.

We did make one modification to the units, we ripped out their beeper module. They were not making that annoying beep when they were unplugged.

Good luck
Marty

Bluetooth is s huge no
You can more safely use an in ear monitor RF link to feed audio to a battery powered speaker. Even better, take something like a seismic audio self powered speaker with integral wireless receiver, hack up one of the 2 supplied mics to feed it a padded down line level signal, and you’ve got for under $200 a 400+ watt receiver/amp/speaker cabinet combo with an integral motorcycle battery that will run it for hours. The wireless embedded receivers are in the 200 MHz band, and tho I’ve n3ver range tested them to find the edge, I have seen 40+ foot distance between transmitter and receiver work routinely. Likely you can get farther. Or, you can plug in the IEM receiver of your choice to one of the wired inputs.

Look for the Galaxy Audio (the Hot Spot monitor folks) "Any Spot" battery powered speaker system, available with wireless mic modules. Get a lav pack transmitter and feed it the signal...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back