How to train a new flyperson

SteveB

As posted on the Stagecraft mailing list and in response to a question as to how others train their operators.

“Remember your trims, out is clang, in is thud.”

As posted on the Stagecraft mailing list and in response to a question as to how others train their operators.

“Remember your trims, out is clang, in is thud.”
@SteveB Two comments for you:
1; You're always pulling down, NEVER up.
2; Arms in, closest to your chest. You are pulling the near line in. Arms in, the piece flys in.
Arms out, furthest from your chest. You are pulling the far line in. Arms out, the piece flys out.
In. Out. Repeat after me.
Edit: Calling: @whatrigger @egilson1 @theatrEd
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Last edited:
@SteveB Two comments for you:
2; Arms in, closest to your chest. You are pulling the near line in. Arms in, the piece flys in.
Arms out, furthest from your chest. You are pulling the far line in. Arms out, the piece flys out.
In. Out. Repeat after me.
Edit: Calling: @whatrigger @egilson1 @theatrEd
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Yeah, thanks Ron, but I’m the LD, I don’t pull ropes.

Far out dude

@SteveB

I figured Ron would be the guy who has a story about how back in the old days he needed to stand on a chair in the fly loft and shove the sand bags up the last 2 feet to bring the lineset to its in trim. That being said I have had to pull sand bags up to clear the pin rail, while the guy on the helper line is pulling down. There's always and exception to the rule haha

I figured Ron would be the guy who has a story about how back in the old days he needed to stand on a chair in the fly loft and shove the sand bags up the last 2 feet to bring the lineset to its in trim. That being said I have had to pull sand bags up to clear the pin rail, while the guy on the helper line is pulling down. There's always and exception to the rule haha
@bobgaggle Nah! Back in the old days I was talller.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Still amazes me that stagecraft mailing list is still alive.

First thing I was ever taught was "the front rope never lies, the way it goes is the way it flies".

Remember Frank Woods ?. He was the reason I unsubscribed, though they have a FB page now. Glad he never found his way here.

As i recall Frank Wood died a few years ago. The stagecraft list is still around, the digests are a bit shorter these days.

As i recall Frank Wood died a few years ago. The stagecraft list is still around, the digests are a bit shorter these days.

Well sorry to hear, but what a PITA he was on the list. OTOH, I probably would have liked working with him.

But seriously folks: This is a subject that should be taken, well, seriously. Counterweight systems are dangerous. Not to be taken lightly, etc.

The new operator should be given some written instructions to read. If you you write the instructions, you will learn more. If you need a basic set contact me and I will send you a basic set I use to teach people new system operation. They should be taught why it works and doesn't work. It takes some work of the physical variety to load and unload counterweight and demo weight weight and balance. You need a set that is 30/40 LB out of balance to demonstrate what the lines feel like before you open the lock when the set is out of balance. Much of what happens when things go awry with CWT sets is relayed by feel. You have to teach that by demo. Gloves? No gloves? What kind of rope was used for the control line? What works for you?

Lots of questions. I could go on and on. And on.

Suggestions:
1. Acquire and READ a copy of The Stage Rigging Handbook. Learn why you do it. (Find an expert that will answer your questions while reading the book.) Knowing why you do it allows you to make educated decisions.
2. Ask your local installation company if they offer training and then have them come by and train you and your students.
3. If there are no installers close enough, does the local college or university have a CWT system? Maybe they have a person with expertise that can come teach. An outsider can be valuable. Ask them to look around and see what they see in your theater.

T

What is the Stagecraft List you're talking about? I am the TD at a private school and am always looking for advice. Would this be useful? Thanks

It's the ancient NNTP news group rec.arts.theatre.stagecraft. Since the protocol has fallen out of favour over a decade ago, most access it via a web portal. So https://groups.google.com/group/rec.arts.theatre.stagecraft would be one way to view it. As with most unmoderated news groups, the primary contributors are spammers.

Actually no, http://stagecraft.theprices.net/ is the link. There is a digest that comes out daily and the people on it are not spammers. You have to listen to talk about beer and BBQ, but, our own Ford makes comments on it. Me, I just lurk.

As always, I like to make this thought the center of a new (rail, automation, flying) person's mindset: Think, remain engaged. You have numerous opportunities to injure yourself and others, with the bonus of also possibly wrecking a large piece of expensive gear.

If you're uncomfortable operating a rail, say so. We'll find another place for you to contribute. Nobody's employment should hinge on being squirrely on the rail.
Ask every question you have, and keep asking until you get clarity. Trainers: keep it simple.
Look out for the people around you and your gear, and they will look out for you. I can't count the number of times over a career I've had someone from another department (or the cast) call a stop because of something they saw that I couldn't or didn't see.
DON'T be "the scary, grumpy rigger" that everyone is afraid of. (Those of you who know me, shush. I've gotten a lot better in the last 10 years. And you know it.)
You'll never know it all. There is no finish line. Accumulate knowledge over your entire lifetime/career.

As always, I like to make this thought the center of a new (rail, automation, flying) person's mindset: Think, remain engaged. You have numerous opportunities to injure yourself and others, with the bonus of also possibly wrecking a large piece of expensive gear.

If you're uncomfortable operating a rail, say so. We'll find another place for you to contribute. Nobody's employment should hinge on being squirrely on the rail.
Ask every question you have, and keep asking until you get clarity. Trainers: keep it simple.
Look out for the people around you and your gear, and they will look out for you. I can't count the number of times over a career I've had someone from another department (or the cast) call a stop because of something they saw that I couldn't or didn't see.
DON'T be "the scary, grumpy rigger" that everyone is afraid of. (Those of you who know me, shush. I've gotten a lot better in the last 10 years. And you know it.)
You'll never know it all. There is no finish line. Accumulate knowledge over your entire lifetime/career.
@What Rigger? And other important parts of what you learn: Remember it and USE IT!
I'll descend from the podium and relinquish the lectern.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

If you're uncomfortable operating a rail, say so.

This. I often find the kids that are hesitant to the rail tend to be the more responsible ones running it. The knuckleheads that throw that macho vibe and sling weight fast are the ones I can count on to drop a brick on my head or crash an arbor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back