How young is too young to operate or position equipment?

Old thread I know, but my high school regularly has 14 year olds running sound and lights - when I started there 2 years ago, we had a very technical teacher. A small group of kids, myself included, were nearly always up on catwalks, and more than once I was lifted up onto truss using the PE department's rock climbing gear.

In my opinion, age has nothing to do with who you use. If they have the motivation, maturity and willingness to learn I say go for it.

IF your local laws allow it, and IF the child is responsible enough, then 8th grade is plenty old. I was climbing trees far more dangerous than any catwalk at ages much, much younger than that. I hate to say it, but first you must indemnify yourself legally and then you can look at the qualities of the child (ie are they able to follow directions completely, are they clear on what you mean by safety first).

But you MUST supervise them very, very closely. A couple of stories.

I taught tech at a fine arts academy down here. We have a unique setup. I was a TD and responsible for teching shows and teaching responsible students skills like electrical, rigging, carpentry, etc. There was another teacher who took the rest of the kids and basically did arts and crafts. Well, one day I was out in the middle of loading in a show. I told the other teacher not to touch anything while I was gone. She decided that she could get some drops hung while I was gone, and allowed the students to do it. Now these were my students, and the responsible ones of the group, but without my supervision they got the loading order confused. They flew in the pipe, then loaded the arbor, and well you know what happened next......

Another day we were hanging lights out front and I thought she had her crafts kids in the other room working on stuff. Well, I hear a thump, thump, thump coming from the scene shop. I run in there, and one of the kids has taped the safety on the nail gun and was shooting nails at a 2x4 on the opposite side of the room.

Kids, no matter how responsible, have to be closely supervised.

Mike

Operating? or hanging? As far as operation (only), how about age 3 and up for a board op? Was just in a restaurant watching a kid who couldn't be more than 4 years old explaining to his dad how to operate his iPad. Kids can wrap their brains around computer based systems better than any of us old fossils. (site search "drinky bird board op.)

I started in 7th grade. By 9th grade I was sitting on the top of an A-frame ladder focusing lights on a raked stage. Of course I come from a construction background, my dad had me solder pipes at age 6 and running the tag line for flying roof trusses at age 9. It really depends on the child's background and maturity.

BTW, my 15 month old son already sent his first text message... 6 months ago.

At my high school (I am a student their), we don't have a lot of supervision and are left to our own devices most of the time. We don't get into much trouble. We also don;t have a catwalk or an operating rigging system. A few years ago, my sister and some other students(all on tech crew except one) were going into the ceiling. One way to get in is through our booth. the one girl who wasn't in tech crew, mis-stepped and fell through the drop-in ceiling and fell. She then had a seizure and was brought to the hospital. She was fine, just shaken. For kids using equipment it all depends on who they are. I used followspots in 7th grade for shows when the tech crew needed more people.

We also don;t have a catwalk or an operating rigging system. A few years ago, my sister and some other students(all on tech crew except one) were going into the ceiling. One way to get in is through our booth.
Sounds like my old High School! Access to the FOH hangs was through a hatch in the booth and a climb over the ceiling.

All kidding aside, the "no supervision" thing is a real accident waiting to happen. Can't get too hurt hitting the "Go" button on the board, but there are a long list of things in theater in which one goof equals death or serious injury. Irrelevant of age, anyone who has not served in a supervised theater environment for a number of years is putting their life and the lives of others at risk. This includes teachers! It seems a lot of districts select the teacher in charge of theater by who drew the shortest straw.

Sounds like my old High School! Access to the FOH hangs was through a hatch in the booth and a climb over the ceiling.

All kidding aside, the "no supervision" thing is a real accident waiting to happen. Can't get too hurt hitting the "Go" button on the board, but there are a long list of things in theater in which one goof equals death or serious injury. Irrelevant of age, anyone who has not served in a supervised theater environment for a number of years is putting their life and the lives of others at risk. This includes teachers! It seems a lot of districts select the teacher in charge of theater by who drew the shortest straw.
I saw a guy fall through a catwalk and die.

Even things that are "safe" often aren't. Unsupervised students doing anything other than operating a board is a bad idea.

Mike

I saw a guy fall through a catwalk and die.

Even things that are "safe" often aren't. Unsupervised students doing anything other than operating a board is a bad idea.

Mike

After that happened, no one except the town maintenance are allowed in the ceiling. This means even with our tech teacher with us watching us we are allowed. The general opinion is that the town overreacted and we should be allowed up with the correct supervision. For the most part, all we do is set up mics, turn the breakers for the lights on, and run the boards. We aren't even allowed on the a-frame.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back