I cringe at even asking this, but...

The OP is in a school, so I would think that profit and location have very little to do with the decision to fly. The purpose of educational theatre is to educate, not make money, IMO. I'm happy if I get close to breaking even. If the school can afford it, it's a good experience for the students. I had a rigger come out yesterday to repair a lift line on one of our line sets. The kids were fascinated by the work that he did. I can only imagine how much they'll learn when somebody like Delbert Hall comes in to teach us to fly!
Just another point of view...

The OP is in a school, so I would think that profit and location have very little to do with the decision to fly. The purpose of educational theatre is to educate, not make money, IMO. I'm happy if I get close to breaking even. If the school can afford it, it's a good experience for the students. I had a rigger come out yesterday to repair a lift line on one of our line sets. The kids were fascinated by the work that he did. I can only imagine how much they'll learn when somebody like Delbert Hall comes in to teach us to fly!
Just another point of view...

Im aware the OP's in high school, but no money, no program. Administrators and boards don't like things that dry up the war chest because they can't at least somewhat support themselves.

Other than that, I agree with you, if the school can afford it, by all means. When I referenced colleges I meant a college professor may be more likely then a high school teacher to convince those writing the checks that the flying effect is worth the money to do in a higher risk situation (like the possibilities of barely breaking even, if it all, because of the extra expense), because of it's educational benefits.

By the way, while I don't disagree that the purpose of educational theatre is to educate, I do believe that all theatre (and all art, for that matter) is educational, regardless if that was the intent or not.

I didn't read the the two links posted above so I'm sorry if I am repeating a suggestion already made. To do the basket effect could you use a Genie with the basket built around it and a piece of black material to hide the lift as the basket goes up. It's safe and relatively cheap.

This is a school theatre? You don't HAVE to say 'no'. That's what the Principal is for. :)

The issue is child safety. You only get that with an established rigger available.

We did Cats at the area HS last year. I had one actor come down on a rope-seat and another stand on a platform that was lifted off the stage via motors. In BOTH cases I spent weeks planning out every detail, purchased special harnesses, had fault lines and brought in a Pro Rigger. And that was the bare minimum for 2 simple up and downs, one a motorized platform with a seat.

You want to convince your director? Point to Spiderman: Turn off the Dark. That was professionally done. Imagine the worst happening. Now imagine what you tell the parents of the victim of the worst happening.

Good point Duck, but your numbers are a little off.

Actually, that's a little high. For a simple lifting effect, it would probably only come to a few thousand. I emphasize 'only' because it is a small price to pay for life safety and peace of mind.

Also, not to sound shallow, but you also pay for their really good insurance in the extremely unlikely event that something does happen.

Way higher. You'd be looking in the millions, most likely.

Sadly, this is a little on the high side.

That said, I do get your point, and even though the numbers were a little off you make a valid argument.

My estimates for my effects, which were going to be much more than they were and even what they were is more than what is being described, came to an estimated 7k. Nearly 1/4 your cost.

However, numbers aside, your explanation is accurate. :)

I went through a very similar experience about a year ago at my high school. The TD at my school wanted to fly an actor in a wooden basket structure using a counterweight lineset and was deaf to any problems brought up by others. Without mentioning any names, I can say that some of the most respected individuals in the industry offered to personally call or write letters to the school administrators and the TD, and were basically willing to do anything in their power to ensure that a high school student wasn't put in danger because of a careless rigging choice. If your word alone isn't enough to convince the director, start moving up the ladder - make a formal presentation to the administration outlining the risks, including quotes from this thread and from others. If that still doesn't work, have some people start making calls - if you need more support, send some PMs to some people here, or talk to Jay Glerum/Bill Sapsis/Dr. Doom/ZFX/Foy or others. It may damage your relationship with the director, but it's better than damaging a student's future.

you might be able to do this in a more interesting way by having some sort of scene change live, maybe if you can get a drop in the back with clouds on it that at the start of the act is only half visible, and its the ground with the sky or whatever in the back, and then when they get in the balloon and it begins to "fly" the drop moves down to reveal more "sky" looks. This could also be accomplished with some sort of projection (but thats another monster). As the "flight" begins, the rest of the set can just roll off into the wings, if you can track them upstage and have the balloon track downstage at the same time, it will make it look a bit more like the balloon is taking off. Obviously not as dramatic as actually having the thing fly up, but it might be a cool look? Not sure how the show works in the stage version, if there is more stuff going on onstage this might not work, but if its a scene change anyhow or can be worked into a scene change it might be a really effective way to end the scene, with the ground appearing to go down, wagons tracking up looking smaller, and the balloon coming down and appearing larger due to some perspective, and as the balloon gets to the edge of the stage, fade to black for the set? Just kind of shooting from the hip on solutions here, not totally aware of how the show works so it might be a dumb idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back