I know its a bad idea, but...

We can always add the Pink incident as well to something professional that can go horribly wrong.

IMO, that's a bad example. The videos of the Pink incident that I saw give the impression that the safety checkers/assistants on either side of Pink were signaling "don't go" and the operator went anyway. They were LIKELY using the correct equipment. Using rock climbing gear (incorrect equipment) is more the subject here. But yes, even with correct equipment, you can get injured/killed, which is why it's doubly stupid to use incorrect equipment.

I'm guessing the OP has either listened and done the right thing or chosen to ignore us and never coming back. But for future reference, Do a search for "Owen Hart Death" Owen was a fairly famous wrestler who used the stage name "Blue Blazer". He fell to his death in a rappelling stunt. Here's a little from Wikipedia.

If you can, find a copy of his wife's book "Broken Harts". A fine account of Owen Hart's life and death. The Wikipedia bit you quoted there is really not too accurate. I read the book, talked to a few other industry folks who would know and while in Toledo a few years back on a gig was able to get more info (that corroborated the book) from some of the riggers at the Local there. What I know as "the truth" in this case is way, way more horrifying than what is generally found in sources like this. Still freaks me the eff out, even now.

IMO, that's a bad example. The videos of the Pink incident that I saw give the impression that the safety checkers/assistants on either side of Pink were signaling "don't go" and the operator went anyway. They were LIKELY using the correct equipment. Using rock climbing gear (incorrect equipment) is more the subject here. But yes, even with correct equipment, you can get injured/killed, which is why it's doubly stupid to use incorrect equipment.

Ya. It was the point that even with safety, there is always the danger from the harnesses and the equipment to the users and operators. A different situation with a different set of circumstances. But it's just another incident where these things happen. Plus I'm sure we've all seen other bad footage of christmas plays and Peter Pan. With or without the proper equipment.

The biggest problem you'll run into is liability. You always need to ask yourself, especially in stage lighting or something like your situation, if something happens, god forbid, who is responsible? We recently went through this at the university I am contracted out at to do lighting for. After a lot of questions and planning, we had to come up with a policy that covered volunteers under university insurance. However, since you're at a school, I doubt your school has insurance that would cover volunteers. Even if you do have a professional come in, you still need to be covered under some sort of insurance policy (such as an LLC). A pipe most certainly does not suffice as a launching point for your actors- what if it is corroded or compromised? You need to consider all of the possibilities carefully. Not to mention, your school board/management is probably going to want to know about something like this. Don't cut corners- that's how people get hurt.
Also, speaking of things gone wrong, has anyone seen the footage of the Sugarland concert in Indiana? That disaster right there is why, as a lighting technician, I never cut corners when it comes to safety.

Ug he is from Pittsburgh like me. I do know that there are some schools around here that don't run their theater departments properly and throw safety out the window. I don't wish to elaborate on an online forum but I do know of a certain HS that ran a freestyle talent show and I also know for a fact is not as committed to student safety in the theater as it should be.....

Ug he is from Pittsburgh like me.

I'm not sure what that is supposed to mean, but it's certainly not limited to one area. I have a group near me that I would absolutely love to be more involved with (they are in a great facility and have great potential), however they choose to do things completely unacceptable (actually on this very topic), and I won't go near it. There's no way I am going near that.

Like you I often get to work with other schools theatre departments with community events, freelance, ect. Almost all of the ones that I have worked with have good equipment but do not have students capable of running it efficiently or safely. I haven't run into anything this bad, but I have seen unsafe behavior by students in full view of a teacher who should have corrected it, but didn't. I have seen facilitys where underrated extension cords were used for lighting and there wasant a safety cable in sight. When im talking uderrated, im talking low gaige lamp cord running two 500watt instruments with ground eliminators to make it all work. When I pointed it out to the teacher he said he didn't really track what the students did but that he never used safety cables in HS. I have completely distanced myself from them even though they wanted me back this year; someone WILL get killed eventually. The reason I kinda cringed when he said he was from pittsburgh was I put two and two together and thought of a few of the schools without a clue....

Last edited:
This will not be conducted without a professional. Now, I'm more so interested in the particulars of why its bad.

Don't let everyone here discourage you. People love to jump in and say "no" without listening. This IS a cool IDEA. DO NOT attempt any of this without a proven professional with credentials. You need to check with the school administrator or whomever is responsible for insurance. Also, make sure this is all cleared with your supervisors. And make sure everyone is safe. Just because you have the proper equipment doesn't mean the operators know what they are doing or that the equipment will not fail.

Don't let everyone here discourage you. People love to jump in and say "no" without listening. This IS a cool IDEA. DO NOT attempt any of this without a proven professional with credentials. You need to check with the school administrator or whomever is responsible for insurance. Also, make sure this is all cleared with your supervisors. And make sure everyone is safe. Just because you have the proper equipment doesn't mean the operators know what they are doing or that the equipment will not fail.

"And make sure everyone is safe." Well, the problem with that is: a lot of people are sure they're being safe despite a complete absence of knowledge or training. Like the saying goes "the road to h3ll is paved with good intentions". I don't think anyone here is trying to discourage anything or anyone, we're just trying to make sure things are done properly to avoid injury/death. No show/effect/gag, etc...is worth ANYone's safety.

To rappel in this sort of environment would go one of these ways, from my point of view:

You get trained and certified in industrial climbing practices and the rappel is performed by those individuals (assuming you have anchor points that will meet minimum requirements, which in most instances is 5000lbs for a human being to be on).

The trained and certified individuals would actually lower the non-trained individual. A sort of illusion of a rappel.

You hire a flying company to come in and rig the illusion of a rappel.

You hire a stunt coordinator, and actual stunt performers to do it for you.

Personally, I'd go with one or both of the first two. I know I've said it before, but: it's called Rope Access and it'll get you to a LOT of places very, very safely.

God, I hope I didn't get all preachy there.

Last edited:
AMEN brother Rigger! They shall know the truth and the truth shall keep them alive!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back