Ideas for a simple "flying" effect

jt7724

I have just learned that the children's theatre camp I build set for every summer will be performing peter pan in a couple of months and I think we all know what that means: I have to make someone fly. I know human flight can be a touchy subject around here (as well it should be) due to the inherent danger, so I want to start by being very clear on what I am and am not trying to do here. I do NOT plan to lift anyone more than a couple feet (for the sake of argument let's say less than 3') off of the ground. I do NOT plan on suspending anyone from the fly system. I do NOT plan on doing any crazy flown fight sequences etc. What I am looking for is a simple, cheap, and most importantly safe way of creating a fun flying type effect for a group of middle school students performing for their parents. That said, I have had a couple of ideas that I want to bounce off of you guys and too see if you have any that I'm missing. One idea would be a parallelogram lever with a small platform to stand on, it could be hidden behind a closed traveler with just the end the actor stands on sticking through the gap and an adult technician operating it behind. another would be to move set pieces down instead of moving the actors up, especially when they're in the bedroom maybe the windows could be flown set pieces and they would move down behind a raised platform as the actors "go up". As a replacement for, or coupled with either of the previous ideas, perhaps a pre-recorded video of them flying off into the distance in silhouette which could be projected onto the cyc coupled with a little bit of lighting and blocking magic that makes the switch between actors and projections as seamless as possible.

As I'm sure you guys can see, this isn't anything too high tech going on. Thanks for any feedback that you can give.

The last time my wife directed the show she had her flying budget cut and couldn't bring in the pros. So they went with heelies. The sneakers with wheels in the heel. After a lot of practice to make sure they were safe and weren't going to careen into anything it worked wonderfully. It really did look like they were gliding along and could quickly put their toe down and be back on solid footing. After seeing it I'm definitely sold on using the effect again.

Via tapatalk

The last time my wife directed the show she had her flying budget cut and couldn't bring in the pros. So they went with heelies. The sneakers with wheels in the heel. After a lot of practice to make sure they were safe and weren't going to careen into anything it worked wonderfully. It really did look like they were gliding along and could quickly put their toe down and be back on solid footing. After seeing it I'm definitely sold on using the effect again.

Via tapatalk

that's really clever, will definitely pitch that one to the director and see if the choreographer would be up for it.

I do NOT plan to lift anyone more than a couple feet (for the sake of argument let's say less than 3') off of the ground.
A fall from "a couple of feet" can break bones, damage the spine, fracture a skull ... just sayin'

Another possibility would be to treat it as an exercise in bunraku puppetry. Ir have a couple of sturdy folks ldressed in ninja blacks lift the performers up when flying. NOTE. This would take a large amount of rehearsal to do safely. If you go this route you might also consider some smaller puppets of the characters on rods flying away.

Another possibility would be to treat it as an exercise in bunraku puppetry. Ir have a couple of sturdy folks ldressed in ninja blacks lift the performers up when flying. NOTE. This would take a large amount of rehearsal to do safely. If you go this route you might also consider some smaller puppets of the characters on rods flying away.

The director has proposed to do a similar thing by dressing some chorus members up as "cloud dancers" who might lift the actors or just dance around them depending on how casting comes out, so that idea is definitely on the table. If they do go that direction though it becomes the domain of blocking and choreography so I'm letting the instructors talk that one through.

I do NOT plan to lift anyone more than a couple feet (for the sake of argument let's say less than 3') off of the ground.

To paraphrase Mr. Sapsis:
Climb to the top of a 3 foot ladder. Jump off. Land on your tailbone. Tell me how that works out for you and then afterward, explain why anyone would want to subject a child to this sort of thinking. Right? Right! :)

Now that my crustiness is out of the way, I applaud you for not trying to Do It Yourself flying on wire. That is indeed the realm of the pro companies only. I really like the idea of the platform to raise actors if, and only if, you can build in the safety factor (design factor) necessary to safely lift anyone. For that I highly encourage speaking with your local pro or university venue about how to do that.

jt, since you seem to be near or in Chicago, I might even have someone I could put you in touch with. So holler at me if you'd like.

And hey! Welcome to the 'Booth!

I love the Heelys idea. What a fun simple way to solve this common problem... and you know choreographers are going to love it.

At least for scenes where the lower half of the actor is hidden you could build a platform with counter weights and a fulcrum. Then place rails on the platform, probably 1/3 to 1/2 height of the actors. That way they can't fall out (well kids will always find a way to do what you think they can't!) and if they get unbalanced they have something to grab. Then you can kinda float them up and down, even side to side if built right, and it would just look like they were floating.

A mix of that and the Heelys and I think you have something :)

I vote Heelies idea as well, not to mention the fun the choreographer will have, think how much fun the kids will have whizzing around stage on them

Just a fun thought... if you've seen Shrek the musical, there is a section in What's Up Duloc where Farquaar raises up in the air to walk on the dancers backs. Farquaar is in bright colors and a couple stagehands come out dressed in all black and lift him up to achieve the effect. With the proper lighting they become hidden and could help you achieve this effect. Don't drag it out to long but if it is quick enough it could be sold very well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back