In-House Automation

I know that there exists a ton of automation companies out there (FTSI, Stage Technologies, Creative Conners, etc.) that service various theatres and events around the country. But are there any theatres which develop their own complete automation systems for in-house use?

I believe the Oregon Shakespeare Festival does it all in house.

Many places do it all in house. Before the companies you listed became what they are today that was the only way to do it. Companys like Goddard built "easy" to use controls that went a long way to get these systems going: AWU SERIES MOTION CONTROLLERS. Some places built sophisticated systems utilizing multiple drive cabinets, different styles of hoists to do different moves, and custom software to run it all. Others just built a "hot box", which is essentially a box with forward, backwards, and speed control.

Even Creative Connors realizes this and they build an interface called the stagehand mini which is designed to be connected to an existing VFD/drive cabinet to connect to their control software and e-stops.

Anymore I would probably stray away from building your own system unless you want to purely for the education side of it. It can be done, but odds are it is not going to come out to be any cheaper in the end then buying a pre-built system after you figure in parts/labor/frustration.

Puzzled by this. What you guys are stating is that "many" theaters, rather then purchasing a packaged system from Clancy, Hoffend or ETC (or others) actually design, build and install an entire automated rigging system, winches and associated computer control systems, from scratch ?.

You have to be kidding me ?.

I don't believe this. I cannot fathom - as Kyle states, that it's cheaper of anywhere near, having the reliability of a *system* that has an existing track record in existing installs, is tested and has the backing and support of a company that specializes in this, or in the case of ETC has a division supporting it.

Set me straight in this if possible.

I was actually referring to moving scenery, not flies. I was wondering which theatres still did in-house automation with the automation packages offered thru these other companies.

Also, I do not believe Stage Technologies (Stage Technologies - Welcome to Stage Technologies) is out of business, as I recently spoke with a representative about training in 2013 and have read that they most recently worked on Ka and Blue Man in the past few years.

Many High End University Grad programs do it in house as part of the training. Yale, Carnegie Tech et. al.

Is that the minapolis or what, we used to order expendables from the and their website and phone were unnavailable.

Most of the companies that I have worked with used to build everything in-house but now use a combination of in-house gear and packaged gear. Back in the day, I created stage automation (wagons and tracks, NOT FLIES) by using motors, drives, built frames and a lot of limit switches. Now I still build my own motor frames, but use the Creative Conners control system. The control system is the tougher part of the equation so buying a packaged system makes sense. Building the motor frames in-house is MUCH cheaper as long as you know what you are doing. I have built up an inventory of 15 motors over the years and there would have been no way financially I could have done that by buying complete systems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back