Control/Dimming Incandescent Overload

Im new to programming DMX boards and have a few questions for a current art installation I'm working on.

I recently purchased a 4 CH Matrix DMX PRO + Chauvet 10 Universal DMX-512 Controller-OBEY 10.

I have two strands of 75 or more 60 watt incandescent bulbs to be programmed to separately go in and out of a slow fade on timed increments.

Do I make each strand go into a separate channel and then program them individually with the speed fader + fader time.

So sorry if this is rudimentary. I will included an example of what the environment will be close to.

Attachments

• 100lc_rwcarlydan7a.jpg
    100lc_rwcarlydan7a.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 235
my gosh, that does not sound like fun (heat wise).

I need a little clarification do you need each individual light bulb to go or just the two seperate strands (each strand being a unit).

I REALLY hope that you're NOT only using just two strands for a load that large. A quick calculation reveals that your MINIMUM load on ONE strand of 75 60 watt lamps would be 4500 watts. This load would require a minimum of 8ga copper wire, which is VERY impractical for something like this, that and you would have to find some 6kw dimmers to run it. A further search reveals that the dimmer pack you are using can only run 10amps or 1200 watts per channel. You would need to split ONE of your strands into a minimum of 4 strands in order to run it on your dimmer pack, and I hope you don't turn on more than two of those strands at a time or you will blow the entire dimmer pack.

Watts = Volts times Amps
(150 x 60W) = 120V x 75A, total number of bulbs

If using a NEMA 5-15 (Edison, parallel-blade U-ground) plug,
(30 x 60W) = 120V x 15A : total number of bulbs possible on a 15A circuit

However, your dimmer pack's dimmers are limited to 10A ((10A x 120V)/60W) = 20 lamps AND the total of all four dimmers cannot exceed 15A, even though it says 20A in the manual, the limit is still the 15A power input plug.

So, one way to accomplish what you require is five Matrix dimmer packs, with four strings of up to 20 lamps on each dimmer, but no more than 30 lamps total on each pack of four dimmers.
The next challenge will be to find five separate circuits in the venue.

A better alternative is likely to be a 6x2400W or 12x2400W stage lighting dimmer pack, fed by a 75A 120V single phase, 40A 120/240V split phase, or 25A 120/208Y 3Ø service.

Safety
Members of ControlBooth are ALWAYS encouraged to keep safety as a top priority. Forums are monitored by the CB Staff, but may not be able to react immediately. We reserve the right to edit or delete posts which we feel are unsafe, or discuss unsafe practices or materials. ControlBooth shall not be responsible for damage, injury or death resulting in any information posted on ControlBooth. When in doubt, always consult a qualified professional in person.
You'll likely require the services of a Licensed Electrician (not a stage electrician) to assist in this endeavor.

As an aside, I think you might be able to achieve the effect in the photo with 11W clear lamps,
proxy.php

ActionLighting-11S14 Clear bulb
rather than 60W, in which case your existing equipment would suffice. No more than 163 of 11W bulbs on a 15A plug, however.

my gosh, that does not sound like fun (heat wise).

I need a little clarification do you need each individual light bulb to go or just the two seperate strands (each strand being a unit).

Each strand is a unit but I can create up to eight units and also lower my wattage to prevent over heating.

I need all units to slowly escalate in a fade to full power, shut off and begin the fade process over again. I also need them to be on a timed interval that can be left for several hours.

Thanks for helping me out!

I REALLY hope that you're NOT only using just two strands for a load that large. A quick calculation reveals that your MINIMUM load on ONE strand of 75 60 watt lamps would be 4500 watts. This load would require a minimum of 8ga copper wire, which is VERY impractical for something like this, that and you would have to find some 6kw dimmers to run it. A further search reveals that the dimmer pack you are using can only run 10amps or 1200 watts per channel. You would need to split ONE of your strands into a minimum of 4 strands in order to run it on your dimmer pack, and I hope you don't turn on more than two of those strands at a time or you will blow the entire dimmer pack.

Each strand is a unit but I can create up to four units and also lower my wattage to prevent over heating and to not exceed the 1200 watts for my four channel dimmer pack.

I need all units to slowly escalate in a fade to full power, shut off and begin the fade process over again. I also need them to be on a timed interval that can be left for several hours.

Do you not suggest running all four units at the same time? Is there a way around this?

Thanks for helping me out!

Last edited:
Watts = Volts times Amps
(150 x 60W) = 120V x 75A, total number of bulbs

If using a NEMA 5-15 (Edison, parallel-blade U-ground) plug,
(30 x 60W) = 120V x 15A : total number of bulbs possible on a 15A circuit

However, your dimmer pack's dimmers are limited to 10A ((10A x 120V)/60W) = 20 lamps AND the total of all four dimmers cannot exceed 15A, even though it says 20A in the manual, the limit is still the 15A power input plug.

So, one way to accomplish what you require is five Matrix dimmer packs, with four strings of up to 20 lamps on each dimmer, but no more than 30 lamps total on each pack of four dimmers.
The next challenge will be to find five separate circuits in the venue.

A better alternative is likely to be a 6x2400W or 12x2400W stage lighting dimmer pack, fed by a 75A 120V single phase, 40A 120/240V split phase, or 25A 120/208Y 3Ø service.

Safety
You'll likely require the services of a Licensed Electrician (not a stage electrician) to assist in this endeavor.

As an aside, I think you might be able to achieve the effect in the photo with 11W clear lamps,
proxy.php

ActionLighting-11S14 Clear bulb
rather than 60W, in which case your existing equipment would suffice. No more than 163 of 11W bulbs on a 15A plug, however.

This is incredibly helpful.

Each strand of bulbs is a unit. Should I create four separate units to use four channels with 20 bulbs each and lower my wattage to the 11w clear bulb to prevent over heating. Is it better to keep the bulbs as one unit and only use one channel?

Thanks thank you thank you for helping me out!

I would start by mocking this up. 4500 watts is a lot of power. The venue may not be able to provide what you want, and their air conditioning may not be able to handle the additional heat load without the guests getting uncomfortable. Also, think about the brightness and glare of 75 60W bulbs.

/mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back