Increassing that amount of channels you can control in a sound system

peacefulone61

I currently have a 24 Channel Allen and Heath soundboard, a GL 3300 I believe. It is a great board and handled most of the needs of the space at least for the school's daily usage. 20 channels are taken up with the wireless, over head and projection/av systems. This only leaves me with 4 available channels to add in instrument reinforcement to events.

The school has started to rent out the theater to generate income. What I was wondering is; Is there anyway good way to add additional channels to the systems 24 channels? Patching and reconfiguring from the school's needs to the event's needs is now starting to take up the lion share of my time. Ideally I would like to double the channels I have available and welcome any thoughts. I have started to look into digital systems as an option but am unsure how to integrate them to the existing infrastructure.

Thank you for any help you can offer.

If you Have some money to buy another Mixer you could run out of the main mix of the new board threw an isolator (maybe if there is a hum) and then into one of the unused inputs on you existing board.
This solution would be even easier if you already own other portable equipment, and only needed the extra inputs once and a while. In this situation maybe all you would need would be some adapters and maybe a line level to mic level converter.

Other than that you may just have to buy a larger board.

What sort of space and sound install is this? Does the venue only have four stage inputs? If not, where do the others go? Were there originally more to the mixer but they later bought 24 channels of wireless? How much money are you prepared to spend if it comes to buying new equipment.

If you Have some money to buy another Mixer you could run out of the main mix of the new board threw an isolator (maybe if there is a hum) and then into one of the unused inputs on you existing board.
This solution would be even easier if you already own other portable equipment, and only needed the extra inputs once and a while.
A simple submix might very well be an option, however you may want to consider some of the limitations in deciding if it works in general or what sources to submix. For example, only the overall submix would be available to an Aux send or Group on the main console. A comon use might be to submix drums and you can then adjust the kick sent everywhere and adjust the overall drums to different mixes but you cannot adjust the kick separately for different mixes. That kind of thing may or may not work in your application, it's simply something to think about.

Space requirements for doubling the size of your audio mixer footprint is probably going to be your main obstacle. I would suggest that if you need up to 48 channels more than a couple of times a year you might want to look into selling the 3300 and buying something else.

Don't forget that the gl3300 has 2 stereo returns that can act as addition inputs. Simple playback of stereo audio may be handled by these, that could save a full featured channel strip or two for other things.

Again, Not sure what your budget is like. An inexpensive route would be to throw in a Patch Panel. If Your tying instrument items in on stage, are you still planning on using 20 wireless mics as well? If not, use the patch bay to patch items into the current console inputs being used for the event. Unless you have the some money to play with then. I would also suggest you either sell your current console for something that has more channels or find the same kind of console to use the integrated A&H link option. That's if space permits in your booth.

There are currently 10 XLR female ports on stage that go back to a 56 port 1/4 TRS patch bay that is stored in a separate room then goes through a snake to the board. tI know I am going to have to find a way to increase the amount of inputs and add some outputs down the line. Thank you for the Tip about the A&H Link, I would have never known to look for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back