inexpensive voiceover (large diaphram) mic

jkowtko

I'd like to get an inexpensive (<$150, preferably <$100) large diaphram mic for recording voiceovers for various purposes.

Our former MD -- who has a lot of expensive stuff -- owns an MXL150 which I think he bought new for around $150. The MXL brand in general seems to be very inexpensive, with many models selling for under $100 new.

Does anyone have experience with MXL?

Also, I'm thinking omni ... but there are a lot of cardoid mics out there.

Input/suggestions appreciated.

Thanks. John

I have an MXL 990, its uber cheap and came in a package with the MXL 991 (a "pencil" condenser) for $100. I know as soon as I say this I''m going to sound like I don't know what I'm talking about, but I've used it for a few small voice over projects and have been satisfied with it.

The only big problem with it is poor construction. I've had multiple issues with buzzing and humming from it that I think stems from a wire or circuit touching the chassis at some point (total guess; I took it apart and didn't readily see anything wrong). Maybe this is just mine though. I know if I move it around and shake it some, I can get the hum to go away. For essentially 50 dollars though, I can't really complain.

**edit**

Oh, and why omni? Unless you plan on doing a lot of VO's with multiple people at the same time on the same mic, I would stick with cardioid. It will be easier for you to control ambient noise level. If you are in an ultra quiet recording booth, I guess this isn't a problem, but the reason I like the cheapness of this mic is I don't mind taking it places with me for use on site.

Also, cardioid mics have what is called a "proximity effect." This is where the low frequency response of the microphone is disproportionately increased as you get closer to the microphone. For a lot of voice overs, this is actually a good thing as it gives it a bolder sound (think radio DJ). Omni mics do not exhibit this characteristic. This may or may not be desirable for you based on your situation, but it can be negated if you simply have the talent step back form the microphone slightly.

Last edited:
I agree with DavidaDaMonkey, I would certainly prefer cardioid over omni for any voice over work (afterall, you are looking for a general purpose voice over mic). The MXL mics are decent, but not the greatest in construction, and there are moany mics that wound much better. If you really need to stick to the $150 budget you indicated, that might be the way to go, but I think that is a very conservative budget to buy a good quality large diaphram condenser mic. I have a couple of Shure KSM 32's I love, but they are way out of what you are looking to spend. The Shure KSM27 is also nice, and is closer to your budget than the KSM32. I think in the long run you would be happier spending a bit more money in this arena.

~Dave

I have an Audio Technica 3035 that I bought about 2 years ago. I actually thought I had lost it, along with the preamp I bought for it, but I found it when I came back to college.

Anyways, it's a cardioid condenser and has a -10dB pad and a roll-off switch on it (80Hz or 100Hz, I can't remember). It's being discontinued (along with the rest of the 30XX series), so you should be able to find it for cheaper (around $150, maybe).

You might also consider a Shure SM7/SM7B or a Heil PR30 (more expensive, but sounds great).

I personally like using shotgun mics for V/O's, but that may just be my preference. The Audio Technica 4050's are very nice multi-use mics, but too pricey to be considered and "inexpensive mic" for my uses. I also enjoy using AKG C414's, but again, they're pricey.

One of my favorite mics is the Sony C48. It's an older mic (we have 2 of them) with multiple patterns and it is the warmest-sounding solid state mic I have heard.

I have an MXL 990, its uber cheap and came in a package with the MXL 991 (a "pencil" condenser) for $100. I know as soon as I say this I''m going to sound like I don't know what I'm talking about, but I've used it for a few small voice over projects and have been satisfied with it.
I had that set about 6 months, the pencil (991) was brilliant on strings.
The 990 is decent for voice over work but needs some eq to eliminate breath noise.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I just won an MXL990/991 set on EBay and will be checking it out in a couple of weeks. For fifty bucks I really can't lose.

I am also looking at a CAD m179 which it looks like I should be able to get for around 100.

As you can tell, I want to keep the investments small until I have a chance to hear this low-end equipment and see the limitations. Hopefully they'll suffice for our needs :)

the 990 is not a bad mic, too bad you did not get the shock mount with it
there is also a pro mic arm ebay 290258967157 that with the shock mount and the 990 makes for a decent low cost setup

Sharyn

I saw people complaining about the MXL 990 shock mounts being cheap and fragile, so I figured it was more worth getting the second mic instead (for about the same price).

Do you think the shock mount will make that much difference? (I've never used one) I can still get one -- this equipment is very inexpensive used.

Yes, I have the pro mic arms tagged in eBay ... was wondering if that would be a good deal. Sound like it will be, so I'll probably pick up one of those as well.

Thanks. John

Shockmounts tend to alleviate a lot of the rumble and vibrations picked up from the environment, so I prefer to use them for recording stuff. Live use, well, it depends. If it sounds fine without the shockmount, I go without.

It's a bit outside your price range, but I really like the Shure KSM-27. We use one for live broadcast every day. The street price is a shade under $300, including a shock mount. It is far better than the cheapo Chinese made stuff.

Hmmm ... the Superlux mics also look pretty inexpensive. I also noticed they have a really cheap drum mic kit ... are those any good?

Just a few tips for V/O's that I've learned being a Broadcasting Major:

1. Pop guards (the recording studio type) make my day.
2. A nice, little tube preamp can add some gentle warmth to a voice - good for V/O's that need to sound more natural without adding effects (reverb, etc.)
3. A cardboard box, probably about 14"x14" and lined with some scraps of Auralex, makes a good, portable V/O box. It helps keep reflections down and can keep a lot of wind noise out if you are out in the field. Plus, it folds up!

My setup, as mentioned before is:

A/T 3035-->PreSonus TUBEPre-->line input on the Mbox 2-->Macbook Pro

Simple, portable, and, without the preamp, it's fully self-contained as far as power goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back