Control/Dimming Inexperienced In Lighting Control Trying to Program Simple Console

PennyLess

My husband is putting on a musical at his elementary school. His school has theatrical lighting set up on their stage (a Strand DE90 system). The control console is very simple and is also created by Strand. There are three buttons on the left, light controls across the middle, and 8 cue buttons on the right. I have experience stage managing, but no experience programming a lighting board. Does this console sound familiar to anyone (I tried to upload a picture, but can't tell if it worked, if not I can e-mail it)? If so, can you tell me how to program the cues? We only have 7 to do (I can do it manually,but don't think that will be as appealing to the audience). Thanks for any help/advice!!
Naomi

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 343
That's an architectural control station - the only "cues" you'll be able to set will be the preset buttons on the right. Depending on how that unit was configured, you may or may not be able to set these cues from the unit itself.

If it's enabled, you can [please see phenry's post below]. Keep in mind that you may be unintentionally reprogramming presets used by other parts of the system (other wall stations, timed actions, etc) so it'd be best to track down the original installation documents before trying anything.

Last edited:
Cpf is correct, that is an architectural station and not a traditional lighting console. If it suits your needs however, by all means…
To program the presets, (assuming recording has not been locked) hit the manual button, adjust your sliders to the look you want, press the enter button, then hold down the preset button you want to record to for 10 seconds. Press enter again to exit record mode when you are done with your scenes.
Let us know how it goes for you.

Since it appears that the question has been answered (and very well),

I have this exact same station sitting in my closet. I've never used it because I always assumed it needed to be a part of a Strand network to operate. Needless to say, I'm pretty curious regarding how I'd wire a simple DMX [assuming that's DMX] pigtail (and probably an external power supply) to this thing. A few terminal strips on the back; and none of which are labeled in a way that I can understand.

Terminal Strip 1 - 3 slots, none labeled.

Terminal Strip 2 - 6 slots, labeled V-, L+, L-, V+, ID, S.

Last edited:
Thank you for responding to my post! Unfortunately, I tried your programming directions, phenry, and it still doesn't seem to work. It looks as though I have something programmed, but when I come back to the preset key again, it doesn't work. Any other possible programming methods?

There could be a few things that would keep it from programming. How about you give us a call when you can be at the station and we will try some things. Just call our main line (1800-4-strand) and ask for Matthew Peters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back