Interesting Audio interference

Yes, you're right. That's what I get for posting late at night. Though with FM-AM interference I'd think you would need to be less than a few thousand feet (depending on power level, of course) from either the antenna or the transmitter equipment to get significant leakage. Not to say the OP isn't.

Which reminds me, I need to go put a toroid on my station's transmitter controller phone line to get rid of the background music...

Yes, you're right. That's what I get for posting late at night. Though with FM-AM interference I'd think you would need to be less than a few thousand feet (depending on power level, of course) from either the antenna or the transmitter equipment to get significant leakage. Not to say the OP isn't.

Which reminds me, I need to go put a toroid on my station's transmitter controller phone line to get rid of the background music...

Actually, I'm almost completely across campus, Think about 3 city blocks from the station, and I can only hear it intermittently. So I'm guessing its a problem with their transmitters voltage not staying at the same level.

What are the station's call letters?

A couple of notes. First off, the FCC says KAOR is on 91.1 MHz...not 94.5 MHz. They run 120W ERP at 24m (about 75'). From 3 blocks away (are you sure you're three blocks from the transmitter, and not the studio...), it seems like you shouldn't get too too much in the way of RFI, not to say its not possible. As far as:

"So I'm guessing its a problem with their transmitters voltage not staying at the same level."

Not sure exactly what you mean there. Power output should be constant...

The next closest station is WNAX-FM, which is on 104.1 at 100 kW. Could possibly be getting some RFI or fun mixing products there if things aren't quite set up right, but that seems less likely.

Transmitter site for KAOR and their coverage (60 dBu):
60 dBu Service Contour for KAOR, 91.1 MHz, Vermillion, SD - Google Maps

Ok so it seems that there is some argument as to why its only intermittent.

first off the station that is interfering is not likely to be fluctuating in power unless it is making pattern changes throughout the day but that is not normal for small stations nor for FM. usually only for AM where the power is lessened at night in some cases, or the pattern is modified to prevent interference with other stations on the same frequency at night.

Equipment that has poor shielding and week RF suppression is more susceptible to AM than FM is true but FM is quite possible I Have an FM crystal radio that exploits poor shielding the ability of a fast diode to detect an FM signal when tuned off frequency. it will receive all four FM stations in my area. look Ma no batteries or chord!

intermittent RFI can be caused by many things.

Inter-modulation if there are other additional transmitters that are near by such as communications repeaters or the dreaded cell phone tower that sells space to pager companies (yep pagers still exist), that only transmit some of the time the frequencies of all of the stations can mix in the receiving device in this case the Amplifier. when this happens you may hear one or the other station or even both at the same time. It would take too long to give the full technical reasons behind this on this forum but I assure you inter-mod is not an uncommon problem. many cheep electronic devices suffer from inter-mod problems. just ask people that live near a communications tower that buys electgronics at the dollar store.

another cause of the intermittent nature is location of equipment. Even if the receiver or in this case the guitar amp is stationary,other objects moving around it can effect how much RF is being received. and not necessarily items in the same room or building. even an aircraft overhead can cause minor changes to the pattern of an FM signal and how well a recieving device picks it up. this too will effect the intermittent nature of the interference.

last is atmospheric conditions. this will have less effect on nearby transmitters but will have some.

I am sure there are other people on this group that have radio experience that can help here I have been a ham for only a few years but have worked with RF for a long time in one way or another.

if you find some of the clamp on fer-rites go ahead and try them they don't cost much and can even be found in used scrapped TV's etc. you don't need supper quality or fer-rites rated for GHZ just the garden variety Radio shack ones will do. if you can wrap a few turns passing through it the better.

Good luck!

A couple of notes. First off, the FCC says KAOR is on 91.1 MHz...not 94.5 MHz. They run 120W ERP at 24m (about 75'). From 3 blocks away (are you sure you're three blocks from the transmitter, and not the studio...), it seems like you shouldn't get too too much in the way of RFI, not to say its not possible. As far as:

"So I'm guessing its a problem with their transmitters voltage not staying at the same level."

Not sure exactly what you mean there. Power output should be constant...

The next closest station is WNAX-FM, which is on 104.1 at 100 kW. Could possibly be getting some RFI or fun mixing products there if things aren't quite set up right, but that seems less likely.

Transmitter site for KAOR and their coverage (60 dBu):
60 dBu Service Contour for KAOR, 91.1 MHz, Vermillion, SD - Google Maps

Sorry i thinking about a Sioux falls radio station, also that coverage area is quite inaccurate. I can pick up the radio station from Sioux Falls, which is 63 miles from vermilion, Secondly Yes i know where the tower is, i work in the station every week and many times had to go to the roof to make sure the connection was good (part of the weekly inspection of the station).

As far as how intermittently it goes, I never pick up more than just that one signal, and it always comes in clean enough to understand everything in the radio broadcast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back