interesting clearcom questions

I am trying to integrate a clearcom pack with a headphone monitor mix. We have a monitor mix for our music director that will run into a headphone amp. I would like to integrate a clearcom channel into a headphone that would allow our md to use one set of headphones for both clearcom and monitor. Is this even possible? It would be fantastic to also use the microphone (the headphones would be like what you would use for computer games...headphone and mic on boom). Any help would be awesome.

Yes this is possible.
You will need a Clear-Com pack that has a detachable headset. You will also need a pair of 4 XLR adapters
(or whatever the headset plugs into the pack with) one male, one female.
Look up the pin wiring for a clear-com headset (there is an older thread that contains it on this site, I will link it in another reply). All you need to do is wire a 1/4" TRS (or whatever your headphone amp outputs in) to the two pins that are going to the earpiece. Also wire the other 4 wires to their same positions. This will add the 1/4" to the feed the earpiece is receiving.
It is critical that when you do this you put this adapter POST pack and PRE headset. The 3 pin XLR that the clear-com packs communicate with is NOT and audio feed and won't help you.
If you have any questions let me know!
Hope this works well for you, I am building the same thing with both and input and an output for my soundboard so I can use the headset as my monitor and talk back to both the facility and the clear-com channel.

Most com base stations have a 'program level' input for entering an audio feed into the intercom headsets. The drawback is everyone on the channel hears it, whether they need to or not, the plus side is that no additional wiring is needed, other than the send from the sound board.

If you're wanting ONLY the MD to have a monitor feed, or a different feed, or a separately adjustable feed, then you're in need of more customized widgets. There are two-channel headsets that have one channel in each ear (ie: channel A in the left, channel B in the right) that might be an useful starting point.

Most com base stations have a 'program level' input for entering an audio feed into the intercom headsets. The drawback is everyone on the channel hears it, whether they need to or not, the plus side is that no additional wiring is needed, other than the send from the sound board.

If you're wanting ONLY the MD to have a monitor feed, or a different feed, or a separately adjustable feed, then you're in need of more customized widgets. There are two-channel headsets that have one channel in each ear (ie: channel A in the left, channel B in the right) that might be an useful starting point.

If you have multiple channels of clearcom wired up, dual channel beltpacks, and a sufficiently advanced base station, you can use put the program feed in the B channel, have everyone on the A channel, and only the people who need to hear the program feed have to turn up the volume on the B channel on their belt pack.

I know of a theater with a 4 channel system (all wired as 3 pin single channel) and 2 channel beltpacks. One of the 4 channels is always used as a dedicated monitor channel (most of the time, channels 3 and 4 and hooked to 1 and 2).

If you have multiple channels of clearcom wired up, dual channel beltpacks, and a sufficiently advanced base station, you can use put the program feed in the B channel, have everyone on the A channel, and only the people who need to hear the program feed have to turn up the volume on the B channel on their belt pack.

That's the way we use our clearcom most of the time. It's especially helpful when you're running a followspot in the house and have a double muff headset on.

Look up the pin wiring for a clear-com headset (there is an older thread that contains it on this site, I will link it in another reply). All you need to do is wire a 1/4" TRS (or whatever your headphone amp outputs in) to the two pins that are going to the earpiece. Also wire the other 4 wires to their same positions. This will add the 1/4" to the feed the earpiece is receiving.

Please don't do this.
You are connecting the outputs of 2 amplifiers together. This WILL end badly.

Let's talk about this headphone amp... Make and model?

I have a similar question regarding a Telex system... Here's what we'd like: I have a two-channel Telex system powered by an MS-2002 main station, which is located in an audio closet not easily accessed during shows. I am in the process of installing a 25v monitoring system to the dressing rooms, hallway, and my office. I would like to tie in the feed from the second Telex channel (which we don't normally use in production) as a page feed for those areas. This way a stage manager can, from any two channel pack, page the actors.

The simplest way I can come up with to do this is to purchase an IFB-1000 (the listen only pack for Telex) and simply input it to the 25v mixer... I'm wondering if there is a way to do this simply by cabling. I don't want to have to be at the main station in order to page, or I realize I could simply wire it to the back of the main station...

Thoughts?

Chris

I don't think I want my MD wearing a double muff headset, even if the entire orchestra is mic'ed. Like a board op, I think the MD should hear what the audience hears. JMO...

I don't think I want my MD wearing a double muff headset, even if the entire orchestra is mic'ed. Like a board op, I think the MD should hear what the audience hears. JMO...
I use a Shure SM12a that I modified with an appropriate XLR connector for the type(s) of comms units I use frequently. I can mix the show and still hear everything without taking off the headset...it's the best option I've found (thanks Mac Kerr).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back