Interesting Night Tonight...

macbeth macbeth macbeth...
Sorry about your projection and god mic issues, but at least you kept it together. Plus, it makes an amusing story! :lol:

As for Macbeth, I don't say it in a theater, however, in my Shakespeare & Composition class, or elsewhere, I'm fine with it.

We had a similar (but less interesting), and oddly, Macbeth-oriented thing happen in an off-the-wall rendition Romeo and Juliet last year. The actor playing Lord Montague said "Macbeth" repeatedly to show off his bravery backstage. Just after, the lights and projection were supposed to go for the next scene. For the show, instead of receiving a letter Romeo was on a laptop. The other actor who was projected in theory, had filmed this scene however many weeks ago, and didn't have any of his lines memorized. Of course, the projection didn't go (I forget why, I wasn't on that show.) so he had to be thrown onstage in projection's place. He ad-libbed and the scene finished, skipping an audio cue and multiple lx. A few other things happened just after, involving a loss of power for the FOH electric (this was before we had our theater rewired, and was a common occurrence then). By the end of the show, the SM was not doing so well...

So I'm glad you lived through it, and kept the show going!

It never hurts to be respectful - the actors think I'm crazy because I always say good night to the theater - you never know who might be listening.

I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one. We also have a ghost light during the musical and actually, someone forgot to take it off the stage for the production. We were doing Thoroughly Modern Millie and during the opening number, SM ran out on the stage to grab it, fortunately it was to the side and I don't think that anyone saw it, I only noticed because I was on Clear Com and heard our director yelling at her :grin:

EDIT: Also, I've never heard anything about saying MacBeth in a theatre, I've also never read MacBeth so that could certainly have something to do with it.

Last edited:
The superstition behind Macbeth has something to do with Shakespeare writing about the three witches based of three real witches, or wiccans, I can't recall... Anyways, they cursed the play. And there have been deaths and theatres burning down I guess... Correct me if I'm wrong.

EDIT: Also, I've never heard anything about saying MacBeth in a theatre, I've also never read MacBeth so that could certainly have something to do with it.

Superstitious or not, you should read/watch MacBeth sometime. Its great. Hands down my all time favourite Shakespeare.

Sounds like a fun night, Maybe you broke a mirror or whisteled, or said MacBeth, either way, those are the kind of nights where you just have to accept what happened and move on, I hope you have better luck on the next show! It sounds like you luck could not possibly get any worse

The superstition behind Macbeth has something to do with Shakespeare writing about the three witches based of three real witches, or wiccans, I can't recall... Anyways, they cursed the play. And there have been deaths and theatres burning down I guess... Correct me if I'm wrong.

I've heard a different story, and now I cant remember the source... In the old days when a performing company realized that they were having trouble making money they would do a "crowd favorite", that show...

So the M word has been associated with the company going out of business.

I dont say that word, I am at the theater almost every day and already have enough problems. Plus I like making people going out to the alley and spin in circles.:twisted:

Back to the OP. Good job going onto the god mic, I cant think of many people I know that would do that. As said before your crew shouldnt of been laughing at you. We have a projector at my theater. We have had alot of problems with it... DVD's cutting in and out etc.

It never hurts to be respectful - the actors think I'm crazy because I always say good night to the theater - you never know who might be listening.
I do this as well, usually when I'm the last one out and killing the room lights. No idea why or when I started.

My favorite Macbeth theory came from an old teacher, who claimed that theaters who were in financial danger would produce Macbeth, since it is a solid money maker. It was bad luck, since it meant the theater was in danger.

Far more boring is the realization that every show is a nightmare of bad luck, and actors lock on to that when you tell them one particular show is bad luck.

Haha, sounds a lot like somtihg that happens to us. It drives me nuts! DVD is a nightmare on live stuff. Have you considerd somting like DVcam players, they can make life so much easier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back