Intermittent power issues on LEDs

Hello

Bought some Stage Color LED 64s and afer a few hours of use one is malfuntioning. I plug it in hook it to DMX. Bring light up (on) and after a minute or 2 light shuts off all together. Then after a few more minutes it turns itself back on and everything is fine. At least until it turns off agian. And so on... This happens in stand alone and DMX modes.

Any ideas of what might be going on here?
Tranformer maybe?

I have tried to rattle the light or jiggle the wireing to see if it is a loose something or other but does not seem to effect it. Fuse has been changed.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
John

Since you say this happen regularly and it turns itself on again, it sounds like a possible thermal issue to me.... I presume you have control and it works otherwise for control purposes in other modes you try...it just shuts off randomly after being on.

Since its the only one doing it, and it does it regardless of mode it could be a defect for overheating....the LED fixtures can be very sensitive to heat to protect the LEDs to get the max use out of them. Basically as soon as the device creates a certain amount of excessive heat an internal thermal sensor shuts the fixture off to cool down before powering on again--there are fans often inside to maintain temp but the sensor or the fan may not be working properly--or there could be another electrical issue in the fixture adding more heat then is allowed. Does the fixture feel warmer then the others do? Check your air vents on the side to make sure they are not blocked with packing tape or anything.

You could try to put a regular room fan blowing directly on the fixture and see if that makes it last longer before it turns off--when you pull the fan away it should then shut off shortly after. That to me would confirm a thermal issue. Otherwise it could be an electrical problem in the board... There are usually no end- user service parts inside any of these types of LED fixtures and opening them up will void your warranty...so I would send it back.

Elation has a email at [email protected] for issues or you can call them 9-5 M-F pacific time at (323) 582-3322. (That is the last # I have for this company's service dept--it should be accurate.) I am not sure but I believe they have a 2 year warranty on those fixtures so it should not be a prob to get an RA or replacement shipped to you. Your rep or dealer you bought it from may be able to help you expedite the process...

Hope this info helps. Please let us know how it turns out.

-w

Last edited:
These are being plugged into a standard electrical outlet, no chance that it is on a Dimmer full on circuit? These dmx led units also run with a programmable logic set up it is possible that the program on this unit some how was corrupted

Sharyn

Users who are viewing this thread

Back