Interview Dress Code

Eboy87

Hi everyone, a search turned up some general pointers, but here's a bit more specific question. I have an interview on Wednesday at an event company (think wedding and corporate) for a position as shop tech. I'm meeting with the owner and operations manager. Are there any specific things I should be wearing? Dress pants and collared shirt? Nice jeans and black polo?

I would recommend a dress shirt, dress pants, and a matching tie. I had a similar interview a couple of weeks ago, wore that, and got the job. The tie made quite a difference. I mean, they're not going to laugh at you for overdressing, but it could be a little awkward if you underdressed. Then again, the recommended attire at my job is a black polo and nice pants, so...

In this industry I wear jeans and a decent collared shirt to every interview I have ever done. I'm not a tie person. I wouldn't wear a gig shirt or anything black. Nice casual is usually what I go for. Odd are the person you will be interviewing with is either a polo person or a t-shirt person.

sent from my HTC Incredible

Its hot and humid in St. Louis this time of year--tank top and daisy dukes.

I said St. Louis, not Steelville. :lol: On that note, I'm in Colorado Springs, and people are complaining about 90˚ and no humidity. They get quiet when we mention we're from St. Louis where the temperature is 96˚ with a humidity to match.

Thanks guys. The website has photos of the staff in polos and jeans. Nice collared shirt and nice jeans is what I was thinking.

In this industry I wear jeans and a decent collared shirt to every interview I have ever done. I'm not a tie person. I wouldn't wear a gig shirt or anything black. Nice casual is usually what I go for. Odd are the person you will be interviewing with is either a polo person or a t-shirt person.

I agree. That is what I would do, but my school insists on a dress shirt, dress pants, and a tie _MINIMUM_. I wore khakis to my presentations last year, and was told several times that that wasn't nice enough, and that I needed a full suit. I don't own a full suit, and I hope I never do. I just don't do it.

I agree. That is what I would do, but my school insists on a dress shirt, dress pants, and a tie _MINIMUM_. I wore khakis to my presentations last year, and was told several times that that wasn't nice enough, and that I needed a full suit. I don't own a full suit, and I hope I never do. I just don't do it.

If you are applying to a position in education, wear a suit. Those people care about such things. Anything else in this industry wear one step above what you would wear any other day.

I would recommend slacks, dress shirt, and tie. I doubt that they would be more impressed with a suit. However, in that industry they are very concerned with image. Even if you will only be working in the shop, they may still have clients come through and will want to know that you can still clean up. You also might want to think about if you might advance in the company. There are times when an employer is interviewing a candidate and assessing future potential. You could be overlooked for the position at hand if you don't look like you would fit with the company in the future.

Dress for success. That should be one more tool in your arsenal.

I'm going to side with Ruin on this one. I think you should *always* dress to impress: slacks, dress shirt, tie. (Dress pants and blouse or dress for the ladies.) By doing so, you show them that you're taking this opportunity seriously. In this industry and in this economy, jobs are sometimes few and far between, and competition can be fierce; make sure that if they're going to pass you up, it's not going to be for something as silly as what you wore!

But then again, the last three interviews I've done have all been over the phone, so my dress code was a little more casual! (Pants optional.)

I have always been a dress pants, nice button-up shirt kind of guy for interviews. However, lately I think I'm going to step it down a notch. I have read that you want to be dressed better than other employees, but not better than the boss. In our industry that often means a step above "a tank top and daisy dukes." The past few interviews I have gone to (recently for shop tech) I have felt WAY over dressed and so I am going to be dumbing it down to khaki pants and a button up, collared t-shirt, untucked. Present yourself in a professional and intelligent way and that will compliment your "business casual" attire.

Wear a tie for all interviews. On top of all the reasons given above it shows you respect the interviewers and the company by going out of your way to dress up. The key to getting any job is to stand out. Wearing a tie is one way that is possible. No jacket required, but the tie is a must.

Wear a tie for all interviews. On top of all the reasons given above it shows you respect the interviewers and the company by going out of your way to dress up. The key to getting any job is to stand out. Wearing a tie is one way that is possible. No jacket required, but the tie is a must.

Ties are great. It made a huge difference in my recent tech interview, and resulted in me looking a lot more professional (considering I'm 16, anything to make me look more mature at an interview is a plus.)

Ties are great. It made a huge difference in my recent tech interview, and resulted in me looking a lot more professional (considering I'm 16, anything to make me look more mature at an interview is a plus.)
Ties are especially important to younger less experienced people. They show that you aren't just some dumb kid. They think, "This kid cares enough about his appearance to wear a tie and that hopefully translates to caring about your work". Old dogs who have an impressive resume don't have to worry as much about appearance because they have a track record that you don't have.

Of course, it should go without saying, but make sure that your shirt and tie are conservative/professional. I have some ties that are just plain fun, but I'd never wear them to an interview.

What shoes are you planning on wearing?

Since this is corporate/wedding world perhaps dressier shoes would be a nice touch.

Just don't wear sneakers with a tie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You know what I love, the differences in opinions on here. It's actually kinda cool to see what everyone thinks. Now I'll toss in my 2 farthings.

I agree with those that state at the miniumum a dress shirt, slacks and decent shoes. I prefer the tie myself, mainly cause I look darn good in them, but also I do feel that it shows that I took enough time to prepare for this interview, so they know that I am serious about it. I usually dress up the first couple of classes I teach each semester. And then it's back to paint clothes in the middle of tech week. First impressions are everything, so also be prepared to answer questions. Remember, the clothing is merely a part of the interview. It's that whole talking thing that usually messes people up.

I have to agree with those that say shirt and tie with dress pants. I also just read an article (don't remember where) about wearing a watch to an interview. It said that many employers are starting to look for that. They said it shows them that you like to be on time and care about sticking to a schedule. Fewer people are wearing watches now and depending on cell phone.

That makes no sense to me. (The watch/cell phone thing.) I can just as easily pull out my BlackBerry, which has my calendar on it, and check the time and my schedule in one place.

BUT, yes. I always wear a shirt/tie and dress pants/shoes to an interview. Why not? Dressing up is fun! ;)

I can understand the importance of the watch. However, I doubt that most people doing the hiring in this business will pay attention to it (I could be wrong). They will notice if you show up early/late/on-time for your interview with early being preferrable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back