Ion networking 101

meatpopsicle

Hello all.

so I'm currently on an Ion and have assembled all the components (I hope) to make a wirelsss network using my Iphone as a remote. I have gained access to my router, namet it lightingnotinternet, and only have to hook up the Ion, the gateway and the switch.

Is this worthwile? Are people using this? Words of wisdom? (hopefully SteveB is outthere)

Hello all.

so I'm currently on an Ion and have assembled all the components (I hope) to make a wirelsss network using my Iphone as a remote. I have gained access to my router, namet it lightingnotinternet, and only have to hook up the Ion, the gateway and the switch.

Is this worthwile? Are people using this? Words of wisdom? (hopefully SteveB is outthere)

I assume you also have the app to use with your iPhone? Other than that, I would go ahead an make sure you have password protected your access point. Also, make sure you don't drop your $600 phone off a ladder, lift, catwalk, etc. I own both and iPod Touch and an iPhone since I don't like to use my phone in these sorts of situations.

The boys at work have done this - albeit using a laptop as the remote rather than an iPhone - and have found it incredibly useful. They don't use it during focus, but for tech and dresses it's invaluable for the designer to be able to follow the cues - much easier when writing notes if you know what cue you were in!

This kind of thing is very handy (I do it with PalletteOS on Strand hardware), I use it to be able to check out the lighting from all the angles without having to run back to the console/have an assistant pushing buttons to make tweaks. Doing what kiwitechgirl mentioned is also a good application: just drop a laptop with the window already open in front of the appropriate person and tell them to record "that number" along with any comments they have.

Sadly, I have no advice to offer as I have not as yet seen the need to setup a WiFi to my Ion.

Couple of reasons. 1) I have an RRFU so don't really need another remote, even though I suspect the iPhone/iTouch version might be somewhat more elegant. 2) My wife owns the iTouch. I have a Droid phone and ETC has not as yet come out with a remote for Android. 3) I have a client dongle for my laptop and have used the client mode with the OLE exactly once. The table where I setup for focusing (plot, Unison LCD station, RRFU, etc...) is maybe 25ft from a Net2 port so I usually just run a cable and log on. Not a huge need to do this much though as the RRFU operators are pretty good at running the remote without needing a screen.

So no words of wisdom from this end, but I would really love to hear how this all goes for you. FWIW,, there's some info to be had on the ETC Forum. One comment was rather then setting up passwords, just simply unplug the router network cable when not using WiFi. Chances are nobody's going to hack the network as it's all propitiatory ETC stuff between remote and desk.

I love having my Iphone as another remote. I also have RFR, and another Ipod coming this month, to hand the riggers! I'll use the iPhone when I use multi intensity fixtures.
I am using the netgear WG102 WAP, and netgear FS108 switches. I use one per stage.
I DO NOT broadcast my network name, I use 128 bit encryption and it works well enough. My buddy has an Eos system next door & I have shared his remote on days when mine has died early. I will run my RFR to a full drain before recharge, so iRFR gets used then.
I've no faith in using it to do cues & gags, but it helps not having to go back to the console. I have, used the ETC RFR for cues on set. I can use it plugged into a/c power so I can get a long run of it. We had a few hours of gags one night. Both units seem to drop out alot, but reconnecting isn't more than a few seconds. But in 728 a few seconds can be too long, eh? So my Gaffers fully know the limitations and they roll with it.

Kiwitechgirl,
Are these "boys" using the client software off their laptop, or are they doing it through somthing else?

Pretty sure it's the client software.

But if it's like strand, the client is just a wrapped-up VNC client, allowing you to connect from nearly any device with VNC capability.

I love having my Iphone as another remote. I also have RFR, and another Ipod coming this month, to hand the riggers! I'll use the iPhone when I use multi intensity fixtures.
I am using the netgear WG102 WAP, and netgear FS108 switches. I use one per stage.
I DO NOT broadcast my network name, I use 128 bit encryption and it works well enough. My buddy has an Eos system next door & I have shared his remote on days when mine has died early. I will run my RFR to a full drain before recharge, so iRFR gets used then.
I've no faith in using it to do cues & gags, but it helps not having to go back to the console. I have, used the ETC RFR for cues on set. I can use it plugged into a/c power so I can get a long run of it. We had a few hours of gags one night. Both units seem to drop out alot, but reconnecting isn't more than a few seconds. But in 728 a few seconds can be too long, eh? So my Gaffers fully know the limitations and they roll with it.

Ahhh, a 728 LCP!!! Can you contact me off forum? Its great to see someone on here other than myself running movies and tv. What show are you on now?

I completely concur on the wireless for playback. This is my first picture on the Ion (I ran Kings for a couple of days, but that wasn't building and setting it up.) I have to say that for the basic programming it has been very successful. I found myself tracking my own channels on an exprssion which this does inherently. And for single cuelist it actually is easier than a Ma or a Hog IMHA. Movers on this board look like a pain because you have limited Direct Selects. Nothing beats the Ma for live programming.

When you say you don't broadcast your network name you mean that you don't name your router and put encryption on (using WEP?)

When you say you don't broadcast your network name you mean that you don't name your router and put encryption on (using WEP?)

It only means that the SSID broadcast is turned off, that way, when a person opens their laptop or smartphone, they don't "see" the network. You would have to know the SSID to connect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back