Ion sends stray DMX signal at power down

As AJB ably describes, there are ways to avoid the problem with proper circuit design. A power watch dog to mute the DMX bit-stream would also do the trick. I find it surprising that multiple models have this issue. But, they did save a $1.29 in parts.

Unfortunately, if the circuitry isn't included, there isn't likely a fix with software.

I know of other consoles from other manufacturers that shut down nicely without outputting nonsense. Hopefully, ETC is listening, hint, hint.

It is not in anyway just ETC, and it's not even like you can say this model does it or this manufacturer does it. I have had a Strand 500 Series do it. It is just the nature of DMX and it is merely a matter of chance whether you see it a lot or a little, all the time or never.

/isn't this thread dead yet?:twisted:

It is not in anyway just ETC, and it's not even like you can say this model does it or this manufacturer does it. I have had a Strand 500 Series do it. It is just the nature of DMX and it is merely a matter of chance whether you see it a lot or a little, all the time or never.

/isn't this thread dead yet?:twisted:

No, it is not just the nature of DMX. It is the result of lazy circuit design, and it can be prevented. I have a hard time understanding why any high profile manufacturer would consider that kind of power down behavior acceptable.

This is what happens when too much of the design is software running on off-the-shelf hardware modules.

We may have solved it, and we might be the only ones, so far. I do appreciate the speculation as to how or why designs, software, signals and signal specs are what they are. Digging in with both hands and then realizing how complicated the problem and solution can be is the only way to truly appreciate some solutions. BTW, don't forget that RDM as part of the DMX signal now changes the control signal game.

http://www.etcconnect.com/docs/docs_downloads/relnotes/Eos_Family_v2.0.0_RelNote_revA.pdf

dmx.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back