Is the Titan Mobile really not well suited for theatre shows?

I think Bill raises some good questions. I think that if you're hired as a "consultant", you'd better already know what you're being paid to "consult" about. If you are an employee, OTJ training time and/or employer-paid training is probably the norm. Gigs are more a la carte, and are based on what you are hired to do. Hopefully both parties are transparent enough that everyone knows what they're getting. Difficulties can arise when one party doesn't understand what the expectations are, e.g. "I need a lighting person for a high school event with a few lights, nothing fancy" turning into "half the lights in the auditorium are broken so we rented 25 Asian movers and don't know what to do with them" or when someone is less than honest, but in general, whatever you agree to is fine if both parties agree to it.

RE Word Perfect - wow - 1997 called and wanted their word processor back. :) (not that I love Word - it's my least favorite piece of MS software, but my use of it is basic enough that I muddle through.)

I think you mean 1987.

My reply would be "yes". It is poorly suited for that purpose. Can you get it done? Yes, probably, after a bunch of cussing - in the same manner that it may be possible to drive a screw with a hammer. The real strength of Titan desks is making cool looks for wiggle lights. For cued theatrical shows, it's simply the wrong tool for the job. Just my $.02
I think thats a bit harsh. True, the speciality of Titan is movers and pixel mapping and I think its the best there is for that. However for the last few years I have been using it almost exclusively in theatre cue stack mode, with a few added bumps and chases chucked in when needed.
The tracking, timing options and move in dark controls are excellent - maybe not as good as an EOS or Gio - but probably easier.
Having said that if I was going to spec a desk for mixed use these days, it would probably be a ChamSys MQ500

Users who are viewing this thread

Back