i've got 500 to spend and i need recomendations

What’s with all this “Bulb America” gear listed? Bulb America is reselling gear from American DJ of which any number of distributers sell their gear at the same or a multitude of discount and markup factors to. (That including distributers of their gear on this website who are very active members who have not chimed in.) They don’t get to sell gear directly yet other companies not them who don’t even contribute get lots of plugs?

I’m not slamming one distributer over another in especially never having heard of that distributer before, but only noting a lot of their links on this topic and not a lot of competive links for the exact same resale equipment.

Point is that if you recommend American DJ gear in a post, you should recommend American DJ gear as that post and the retailer of that gear that you have a price to is more a sample of price not persay the only supplier or best price for that gear.

I”m only attempting to keep it fair. If it’s American DJ gear recommending, recommend that brand of gear not the suppliers of that in gear other than persay that supplier of the gear as a source persay as a source in keeping it fair.

American DJ gear is also not the only manufacturer of at times in-expensive gear.

$160.00 for a 3.5Q5??? Holy all that's concept in creation... what's the world coming to by way of inflation??? E-Bay and used fixtures to start even if you have to pay someone to have a look at them for you first before attempting to use. Otherwise I might recommend starting with a PAR 38 package or $25.00 for very used PAR 64 fixture on the used market - often with lamp as being something to start with. Still given a $500.00 budget we get all of at most 20 PAR 64 fixtures, no plugs on them, cable to feed the fixtures, things to hang them on, or dimmers to control them. Short of this, say even ten par cans as a start, you have all of $250.00 left which might gain you the most bottom line of dimmer or control for it - say something used that dims and controls in one light board say from Dove systems or I believe Litetronics is the current cheapest in price brand out there. That's if you want something to start playing with. I don't recommend any such thing for $500.00 budget as being economical. Yea, it will light you for now. Than what do you do with it once you grow?

And back to the topic... how do you buy $500.00 worth of gear. Say 1/3 on your light board and dimming, 1/3 on your cable and plugs and 1/3 on your fixtures. That don't get a lot but gets you a start. Otherwise start with what you can which you can afford and keep saving for some base goal in the rest. Say rent dimmers and board for a while, or if cable and lights are cheaper than dimmer and board in rental, buy the other first. Not much that is worth buying yet at your budget. Don't let it burn a hole in your pants. Instead perhaps buy a few things and save the rest for renting in earning more money and in saving the rest for future sales.

Less what you can afford in having money in hand and more in having a goal and where this very much a start will take you towards it.

Rent for now with this starting budget and figure out what costs most in rental given where you start for budget. From your profits start investing in that and keep renting gear. Keep renting until you can afford the package you wish for. I note S-4 fixtures in your thoughts - for $500.00 you can possibly get two or three used for that price. Do you want something by far less than your expectations or would it be better to have patience?

Last edited:
Look into used gear you can find some nice stuff for a low amount. Dont forget about the old analog stuff either. A place where i buy dimmers for clubs and such is www.cheaplights.com they have some really good prices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back