Keep that Havisham burnin'...

having used the 300 in two venues, i must say i like it as a board. i forget what exactly the commands are but, just use an auto follow on your cue list to keep it simple

As far as the strand chase sequence is concerned koncept is correct, it would be much easier to do a series of cues with autofollows. particularly in this application.

As far as a 300 series is concerned, before you buy any rotators or filmfxs, think about ditching the 300, based on the four we have gone through in a year and a half i can only question their stability. The lightpalletes should be out soon, but an alternative company would probably be a wiser choice.

im currious how you went through so many so fast? we have one that is over three years old and running great, we have a new show in each month and it typicaly runs for three weeks, sometimes we have two show on the same stage with the same set (its kinda messy but for kids shows its ok). we have had to only do minor mainenance on it so far.

To be fair one of the replacements was the 300 series rack mounted backup, and we are also running 6 S4 revolutions and 190 dimmers, our consoles get put through their paces. we also run about a show a month, maybe a little less.

We have had the 300 console in each of our two spaces crash, for various reasons. in our black box we had a ram malfunction whereby on each save it scrambled the flash and we lost track of cue orders for specific atributes, and in our proscenium we have had issues with spontaneous crashes and lockouts, as well as assorted other problems with strandnet. our recent production had difficulties where the backup would steal control from the main console (luckily never durring a show) and the main console would not be able to retrieve control without a hard shutdown. We have also had some issues with the boards internal timing, where cues would not pace at the same rate night after night.

I think the 300 probably runs fine on smaller systems, but we are not really pushing ours to their listed capabilities and still having stability issues.

Personally I ran an LBX all through high school and loved it, I have been significantly dissapointed with the 300, not just with stability but also user friendliness, the soft buttons are a real pain when you dont press "go" hard enough and miss a cue.

Also, the usermanual does have a section that will explain chases and effects pretty well, but for the most part the manual is very difficult to get useful information from and is in general poorly organized and unhelpful. The 300 is actually capable of some really cool effects if you know how to program it, unfortunately you wouldn't know unless instructed by a strand representative, which for us took months.

Sorry that this is a bit ranting, but I feel rather strongly on the subject. I feel that Genlyte really has a lot of work to do to whip Strand into a customer friendly company again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back