Vintage Lighting Kliegl Bros. Fresnel No. 44N6

tc6string

IMG_0401.JPG IMG_0402.JPG Hello, need help identifying some kliegl lights my brother in law gave me.He inherited from his father. His dad worked at Rutgers U. Thank You

View attachment 14798 View attachment 14799 Hello, need help identifying some kliegl lights my brother in law gave me.He inherited from his father. His dad worked at Rutgers U. Thank You
They can't be too old since they're grounded with three leads. The leads appear to be asbestos thus you don't want to be practicing deep breathing around them. Specifically what do you want to know about them?
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Ron most likely looking to sell them at this point . I really have no use for them . I see people make lamps for home use. Can they be still be viable for use in the field they were manfufactured for in this day and age.What year were they made . The value etc. Thanks for the reply.

...What year were they made . The value etc. Thanks for the reply.
Sorry to tell you, the value is less than the cost of shipping. As for date, on the back, on one of the silver stickers, should be a model number. Once you have that, look for it in the early-to-mid 1970s catalog(s) at http://klieglbros.com/catalogs/catalogs.htm . Search eBay "Kliegl Fresnel" if you can find the same. Yes, they're still viable as stage lights for a small community theatre or similar, though the asbestos tails can easily scare people off.

Ron most likely looking to sell them at this point . I really have no use for them . I see people make lamps for home use. Can they be still be viable for use in the field they were manufactured for in this day and age.What year were they made . The value etc. Thanks for the reply.
Purely guessing as to dates but I'm sure others will be along with far more precise information for you.
Guesstimated dates: Late forties through sixties.
So long as the sockets are clean and in good shape, they should still be serviceable and a theater can NEVER have too many fresnels. If the sockets are medium pre-focus, typical lamps would be T20-500 Watt.
Guessing again; the sockets could be bi-pin.
If you're advertising them, state the model number from the manufacturer's label.
Hang in there. I'm sure one of our several Kliegl experts will notice your post.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Okay, was able to zoom into the photo, it's a No. 44N6. Not in the 1965 catalog, but DOES appear in the 1971 price list, $55.00. Not in the 1975 price list. So there ya go--a mere 46 years young, approximately.

So find some stands* and you too can (attempt to) sell them for $950 each: https://www.industrialartifacts.net...ight-with-stand-floor-lamp?variant=3590824324 !
And it will be a very cold day in you know where, should any actually sell for anywhere near that amount.
*(And here's a fun bit o' trivia: the stand is from a dressmaker's dummy, not a stage light!)

There's one on ebay for $150 BuyItNow price; that's not happening either. These units should be in the $25-50 range, if that.

... If the sockets are medium pre-focus, ... Guessing again; the sockets could be bi-pin.
Two strikes. The socket is a medium bi-post.

Thanks for all the replies at wo
Purely guessing as to dates but I'm sure others will be along with far more precise information for you.
Guesstimated dates: Late forties through sixties.
So long as the sockets are clean and in good shape, they should still be serviceable and a theater can NEVER have too many fresnels. If the sockets are medium pre-focus, typical lamps would be T20-500 Watt.
Guessing again; the sockets could be bi-pin.
If you're advertising them, state the model number from the manufacturer's label.
Hang in there. I'm sure one of our several Kliegl experts will notice your post.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

thanks ron for all the info

Okay, was able to zoom into the photo, it's a No. 44N6. Not in the 1965 catalog, but DOES appear in the 1971 price list, $55.00. Not in the 1975 price list. So there ya go--a mere 46 years young, approximately.

So find some stands* and you too can (attempt to) sell them for $950 each: https://www.industrialartifacts.net...ight-with-stand-floor-lamp?variant=3590824324 !
And it will be a very cold day in you know where, should any actually sell for anywhere near that amount.
*(And here's a fun bit o' trivia: the stand is from a dressmaker's dummy, not a stage light!)

There's one on ebay for $150 BuyItNow price; that's not happening either. These units should be in the $25-50 range, if that.

Two strikes. The socket is a medium bi-post.

Derek thanks for the info. I've seen all those outrageous prices on ebay and other sites.Any monetary gain I will give to my brother in law. I must just give them back to him and he can deal with them. I can always rewire them and use them. Wife is having yard sale in a few weeks maybe i'll put them out for 25 or 50 a pop.Thanks Again

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a couple trees full of them a (long) while back & love them! Let me know what you want for them. Put them in a box full of Styrofoam peanuts & I'll send you a FedEx waybill on my account & a check.

I do not think it acceptable to sell something known to be asbestos to other than bag it if known and the buying party knows it has it and will deal with it to do so. Possibly more in discussing such a thing - yea a lot more. I normally in if E-bay ask the seller to clip the whip and bag the light, - no peanuts please the light, than I will properly deal with paid recycling the rest. When not, I bad all I can and properly dispose of professionally.

Third hole/groud option has been threre since early times and not unusual to find on any age of light.

I have one in collection already. As above, a Fresnel is a Fresnel for the most part. Once you restore it's electrical and mechanical parts, it's back to it's simple design and still no better than any other Fresnel for the most part in certainly worth money to re-use. Should you re-wire and re-surfice it, I think it more valuable than resale vale.

Ebay worth like $20.00 each as is and bagged? - at best, at least for a start in bidding? Certainly worth that price as an antique, given it will need restoration work to use as a viable light... also acceptable for price for making it so.

That said, you are going to have a few hunred dollars worth of properly cutting the whips price to dispose of the fixture tails/whips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back