Vintage Lighting Kliegl Ellipsoidal T14 bi-post lamp substitute

kittyn3

I have some old Kleigl ellipsoidals that still work but I need new lamps for them. They take the T14 medium bi-post 500w lamps. I know those have been discontinued for a while. I was wondering if anyone knew if there was any other lamp that would work in that fixture instead. I will try to post a picture soon. Thank you for your insights.

Can you go to 750W? GE Lamp 750T14 Spot 750W 120V Stage Studio | eBay

The T14 is an obsolete lamp, and I know of no modern replacement.
750T14_lamp.jpg

Likely time to consider retiring the fixtures, and replacing them with something more modern, like the Altman 360 (Q). Sorry.:(

I have some old Kleigl ellipsoidals that still work but I need new lamps for them. They take the T14 medium bi-post 500w lamps. I know those have been discontinued for a while. I was wondering if anyone knew if there was any other lamp that would work in that fixture instead. I will try to post a picture soon. Thank you for your insights.

At the shop I worked at in the eighties, I believe we had a retrofit protocol to get
medium prefocus sockets grafted into those things; but at this point, even if I could remember the details, you'd just be " trading up " to a slightly less obsolete lamp....
Do they still have asbestos leads ?

Unfortunately, I can't just retire them. I am a freelance designer coming in and designing one show. This is what I have to work with. I might be able to go 750w, but I am also working with an ancient lever set up. The kind where you push the big lever up to turn on the lights and can turn the top of the handle to lock it into the grand master lever which brings down multiple levers at the same time. I don't know how much each of those levers can handle or if all of that power is going through the lever. I just am not sure how that works and fear I might burn it up. Any thoughts?There are smaller levers on the wall, a patch bay of sorts, where you can select which dimmer go into which channel. My only other option is to rent a couple of fixtures at 575w. I was trying to go with lamp replacement first because of cost.

Can you go to 750W? GE Lamp 750T14 Spot 750W 120V Stage Studio | eBay

The T14 is an obsolete lamp, and I know of no modern replacement.
View attachment 4963

Likely time to consider retiring the fixtures, and replacing them with something more modern, like the Altman 360 (Q). Sorry.:(

Post pictures! We love pictures around here. :lol:

You're describing an installed dimmer, autotransformer system. I wouldn't worry too much about going to 750W, as I've never seen a system that didn't have OCPD, either in the form of screw-in fuse s or circuit breaker s. But, spending the $10-20 per fixture week to rent the appropriate 575W Source Four fixtures will give you so much more light you won't know what to do with it all.

Whether to rent or buy is a tough decision, and one that the venue owner should help with. But if you can't source the appropriate obsolete lamp, the decision will have been made for you.

Again, and historic, (might be worth as much in resale as used fixtures as for newer ones), if a 1165 Kliegl or similar brand - they should be able to be conveted to P-28s (Medium Pre-Focus.) Started out that P-28s way and in the 50's got converted to this lamp. This is the if what you describe, is the latter version of an origional Leko. If in premium condition... might expext a modern S-4 Leko in resale price each for them.

Do a search on the Kliegl website in the 1936 and 1950 catalogues and or take photos for dating of what you have. You should certainly be able to E-Bay them off one at a time for at least the price of some 360Q's in price if not do a lot better. Otherwise they should work with a P-28s (Medium pre-focus) socket in converting them back to their origional socket.

That's assuming a lot on my part of course on what's described. Possible still. Photos or check the Kliegl website to confirm. Could also be Kliegl 1165E which should work also with the other socket but wouldn't be origional.

... if a 1165 Kliegl or similar brand - they should be able to be conveted to P-28s (Medium Pre-Focus.) Started out that P-28s way and in the 50's got converted to this lamp. ... Otherwise they should work with a P-28s (Medium pre-focus) socket in converting them back to their origional socket.

Could also be Kliegl 1165E which should work also with the other socket but wouldn't be origional.
Not sure I follow you here ship. Are you saying that the medium bipost socket is not original to the Kliegl Bros. ERS?

From Ellipsoidal Reflector Spotlight-Ancient History - ControlBooth :
GE offered two lamps to the market: the T-12 medium prefocus base adopted by Century Lighting in their Leko ERS, and a medium bi-post T-14 adopted by Kliegl. The T-12 was thought to be superior due to the smaller hole in the reflector, but it was plagued by problems with adhesive between the bulb and the base-- the glass bulb often separated from the base when re-lamping. The T-14 bi-post design avoided this problem.

For the record, I've never seen a P-28s, medium prefocus, socket in a Kliegl ERS fixture.

Not sure I follow you here ship. Are you saying that the medium bipost socket is not original to the Kliegl Bros. ERS?

From Ellipsoidal Reflector Spotlight-Ancient History - ControlBooth :

For the record, I've never seen a P-28s, medium prefocus, socket in a Kliegl ERS fixture.

The origional #1165B was P-28s. (We debated this around a year ago while I was working on one.)
http://www.klieglbros.com/catalogs/40c36/cat40p44.jpg
Also I noted later while working on the #1365E with a T-14 lamp, that the reletive LCL when seated in a socket is about the same between the two lamps & sockets.

It should be very easy & cheap to convert any Leko with an E-22 / T-14 lamp, to a P-28s / EGE lamp. This is assuming the fixture & wiring is in otherwise good condition.

On the other hand, I still also say the fixtures one at a time on say E-Bay, would achieve enough money to buy more modern types.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back