Knife in the boot/foot

kydrus

Anyone have any random thoughts on how to "stab someone in the foot" during a show? We're doing a melodrama, and part of the stage combat would include this move if we can find a reasonable way to do it. Thanks!

Actor does a stabbing motion near the foot. Other actor reacts by grabbing their foot and hopping around.
No contact, no feet harmed, no real knife/sword/spear/stick or whatever it is that is supposed to be doing the stabbing. If the acting is good enough you can mime the whole thing.

The usual technique involves building a prop boot, or a preset device under the stage or platform with a spring-loaded fake knife. At the appropriate moment, somebody (might be the actor, might be a stagehand) activates a release mechanism that causes a fake knife handle to pop out of the target location while the actor who allegedly threw or stabbed with the knife hides the one they are holding.

One method is useful if the action is blocked to allow it. Right before the stabbing moment, the actor switches the knife with one that is just a handle. He can then stick this on the boot; if blocked correctly, the audience will not notice that he is "stabbing" the boot with a bladeless knife. In this case, the best way to make the knife stick would probably be magnets.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?my203z

If it helps, I've actually been stabbed in the foot in the same manner. It sucked!!! And we did a melodrama and we had a similar stabbing and used a knife with retracting blade. A finger mounted prick and blood on the shin so that when the blade went fully in. The attackers outside edge of his index finger used a small pin to open a blood packet. Worked well but blood had to be thin! I didn't have anything to do with it or i would had found a better solution

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One method is useful if the action is blocked to allow it. Right before the stabbing moment, the actor switches the knife with one that is just a handle. He can then stick this on the boot; if blocked correctly, the audience will not notice that he is "stabbing" the boot with a bladeless knife. In this case, the best way to make the knife stick would probably be magnets

Or Velcro if you're doing it on the cheap.

Thanks everyone! Your suggestions were great, but our director ultimately decided to swap it for another combat move due to our funds and costume pieces -- THANKS SO MUCH!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back