Labeling 3 pin and mic cable

Pursuit of a heatshrunk solution might be creating a problem where one doesn't really exist.

My power cables get marked with self-laminating test-n-tag labels. I get those pre-printed with my name.

Mic cable gets a blue ring pained around the XLR connector with a POSCA paint marker.

On a stage there are likely to be cables from only a few providers. The performers, the venue, and me. Who owns which cable is generally obvious from where the cable is. Who owns which cable is also generally obvious from the look and feel of the cable. Beyond that, there is blue paint on my cables. I don't lose cables.

I have hundreds of cables. I wouldn't dream of pulling the ends off for a better marking scheme. I also wouldn't dream of making them all myself when someone in China earning 95% less than me will do it better.

In my case this isn't so much to identify the cable as belonging to us - we deal with in-house events 95% of the time. What is very appealing is to be able to label the cable with what it is, along with the length, and even the department. While my regular crew gets familiar with the color marking we use for lengths, I work with a lot of students who aren't around long enough to familiarize themselves with any type of cables. I think I may breakdown and order 3/4" 4:1 and see how that works!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back