Labelling

BlackoutGo

We had a previous thread on labelling gobos, but as the new season is starting, how are others labelling gobo holders and accessories as they typically change what they are labelled as.
Currently, I'm using board tape and a sharpie. Looking at some chalk labels and a chalk pen for my accessories, but I'm out of ideas on labelling the gobo holders.

We had a previous thread on labelling gobos, but as the new season is starting, how are others labelling gobo holders and accessories as they typically change what they are labelled as.
Currently, I'm using board tape and a sharpie. Looking at some chalk labels and a chalk pen for my accessories, but I'm out of ideas on labelling the gobo holders.
@BlackoutGo In my Stratford Festival repertory days, we had two similar approaches; One in the ceiling coves at the Festival main stage thrust venue and the other in the Avon proscenium space.
The similarities and the differences.
Every gobo lived in its own dedicated holder for each season. A gobo'd be placed in a metal holder to suit a specific fixture and the holder would be lightly crimped to keep the gobo in place. The handle of each holder would be color coded with spike tape as to which production(s) it was to be used in and identified with a Sharpy (Magic marker) as to which specific fixture it belonged in. In the case of the Festival's 7 x 220 degree ceiling coves, the gobo holders sat behind their respective fixtures.
In the case of the Avon's FOH box booms, all gobo holders dangled from their respective fixtures with flat black cotton twill tape so they were always close to hand as you scampered up and down the attached vertical ladders. Each crew member had their own habits but most of us changed gobo holders on our way up and exchanged gel frames on our way back down. The Avon's booms typically had three fixtures at each elevation with the gobo holders dangling from their tie lines and gel frames stored in "mail-box" like holders all the way up the booms.
Bonus Info': My time in Stratford was back in the 1970's, 80's and nineties when we were still doing lighting plots by hand and had our own in-house blue-printing machines for producing D and E size copies.
We conjured our own in house methods to create gobo's in lieu of specific shutter cuts for specific fixtures for specific productions within the rep's.
Initially fixtures were focused and shuttered for each production by hand.
This was time consuming and meant each light had to be dealt with individually while each specific set was on stage and under reduced work lighting.
Once a design was "locked", we'd have a gobo creation call which worked as follows:
Gobo holders were pre-prepared with photo sensitive blue print paper inserted where a metal gobo would eventually go.
The photo sensitive holders were stored in rugged black, light-tight envelopes.
You'd start at the top of a boom.
Insert a gobo holder into a fixture.
Shine a hand-held R40-300 Watt flood lamp in the fixture's lense for 30 seconds taking, in effect, a photo of the fixtures shutters as set for a specific set.
All of the exposed, and labelled, gobo holders went to the lighting design office where an assistant LD would carefully cut the exposed blue print paper to mimic the shutter cuts. Next came aluminum or brass blank gobos coated with a photo resist intended for creating home-brew printed circuit boards. A dedicated assistant LD then burnt his lungs out bathing the metal gobo blanks in chemical baths which would dissolve the non-chemically protected metals and produce custom gobos. Once fabricated and chemically washed, the custom gobos were crimped into their labelled holders and served as shutter cuts for the entire season.
This was a MAJOR time and labor saver as it was now possible to focus lamps for specific sets in full work lighting, without having to illuminate the lamps and without having to have the set on stage. This allowed box booms to be refocused without the lamps having to be lit and while the deckhands were striking the current set from the stage.
Much joy all around with the only displeased person being the one who burned their lungs out etching gobos.
It was a great technique and I believe we pioneered it right there in Stratford, Ontario.
If I've skipped over the details a little quick, don't hesitate to bombard me with queries.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back