Conventional Fixtures Lamp Inventory

decoss

With no formal training I've inherited the lighting function at our community theater.We use mainly Source4 750, very old Alman elips, altman fresnells and various Par cans.

I did a lamp inventory and found the following:
EHG (750), SHD (?), FEL (1000), BTL (500), HPL (750 & 575) FLK (575) AND EHD (500).

Is there a resource that will tell me what each lamp is used for and which ones are best?

Some of these lamps have been around for years. We use the regular EHG in the S4s and are going to switch to the long life version....does this make sense?

Any suggestions for a comprehensive textbook?

Off the top of my head....

EHGs and FEL are for the Altman ellipses, The HPLs should go into the source 4s, the BTL is for the fresnels, and the last time I used a EHD it was in a 4.5 360q.

I'm sure someone with more knowledge will pop up in a few.

With no formal training I've inherited the lighting function at our community theater.We use mainly Source4 750, very old Alman elips, altman fresnells and various Par cans.

EHG (750), SHD (?), FEL (1000), BTL (500), HPL (750 & 575) FLK (575) AND EHD (500).

Is there a resource that will tell me what each lamp is used for and which ones are best?

Some of these lamps have been around for years. We use the regular EHG in the S4s and are going to switch to the long life version....does this make sense?

http://www.ansi.org/

Amazon.com: Photometrics Handbook (9780911747379): Robert C. Mumm:…

Amazon.com: The Backstage Handbook: An Illustrated Almanac of…

mill is right with the HPL's BTL's and FEL's.

Last edited:

The EHG/EHD, the FEL, the FLK are just different generations of the same lamp type and will all work in your altmans, but note that the FEL is 1000 watts, which your altmans may or may not be rated for. Do you have any followspots? The FEL is used in followspots such as the classic 1000Q.

The BTL's are for your fresnels, I assume.

No matter what, you're going to want to upgrade to a newer generation of lamp for your altmans, such as the GLA/GLC, which will really help you out in terms of efficiency for these old instruments. FLK's are notorious for their easily breakable filaments and the EHx lamps just aren't as efficient as current generations.

Yep, I started out that way as a Master Carpener and TD but in no way a Lamp type person. (Industry folks... Lori from All Bulbs..) say enough in that I started learning to correct my lamps in correcting my mistakes verses fightighing against her's...

Company is out of business now so there is no liability - though for any in the industry, there could be a long thread about her legendary status and fight against Star Light Global also out of business now as with many others before and after.

When I became a buyer of lamps for where I worked, I got handed the lamp buying for where I work. Gee thanks in me having to learn by mistake and more so by study, this plus take lots of notes.

Lamps are a science where you can dial down or up to what ever you want. Spent all day in looking at LED color changing lamps and fixtures alone which might work within a 24" blow up ball. Being pulled kicking and screaming into the LED fixture market all be it but lamps are what they are and a base understanding of what they are goes a long way.

Also takes you in sitting down in studying lamp/fixture combinations and lamp specifcations if not even the notes sections of the lamps in undersatanding them. Just as you grow you can tell the difference between a 1.1/4 drywall screw and a 1.5/8" drywall screw, one should also in growing lean the difference in concepts and lamp between FEL, EHG and EHD lamp.

Just sent some GLA lamps out to a high school for a benefit show in making some fixtures work for that show. Those doing the show had no idea of what lamps were needed, nor it would seem did the school in requiring those on site renting the house to lamp up what what wasn't working.

Hopefully I added some interest to that theater somehow at some future point by way of these GLA lamps added to the FEL/EHG/EHD system at best when working once the replaced lamps fail as no dout they will soon given a seemingly lack of care thus doubtful bases to the fixtures anyay. Could be a sales thing in me writing off the lamps given away so as to make the production work. Free Sample type of thing, tough doubtful given the condition of the place any upgrade for lamp would be more than drop in the bucket as to level of problems in the school.

None the less, I'm a Master Carpenter and set designer by trade. I had to learn lamps on my own as best I could at this point based upon need. It would seem you now also have a certain base need to learn lamps at this point as part of your job. Welcome to the club. Cerainly it probably won't be expected of you to do it eight hours a day plus often, but on the other hand, it's now your job to learn sufficient you can do and make it happen.

Once studid, your qestions should be fairly basic and easy. That's a good goal to set for yourself in answering your own qustion and going further into study.

The key thing to look for is start off the bat by matching the lamp base to the corresponding socket.

Medium Bi-pin lamps (G9.5) go in TP20 and TP220 sockets. Those lamps are:
EHG (750), FEL (1000), FLK (575) AND EHD (500).

There are other, also good options with a different filament design (C-13D) called the GL family of lamps (GLC/GLA [575W], GLD/GLE [750W], GLG/GLH [375W]). They have a filament similar in design to the HPL lamp. I personally prefer the C-13D filament over the CC-8.

Since these lamps all have a similar LCL (light center length), and the same base (G9.5) and coil design (CC-8), the only major difference (I'm very much generalizing here) is in the wattage. You will want to contact the manufacturer of the fixtures and find out what the maximum rated wattage is for each of the fixture models you have that use the G9.5 lamp. Some Altman ellipsoidals can handle up to 1000W FELs. Others are rated for 750W max. My suggestion is to use the FLKs in all of them, as the 575W FLK has an optimized filament that puts out almost as much usable lumens out of the front of those fixtures as the FEL does at 1000W, and you are saving on energy. Also, all of them are rated to handle the heat generated by 575W.

Next up-- Source Fours take HPLs and ONLY HPLs. (that is why they have a larger socket opening that allows for that heatsink.) Since you have S4s rated for 750W, you can put any of the 115/120V versions in them up to 750W (375W, 575W, 750W). You can technically rig it so that a G9.5 base lamp goes in there like you are doing with the EHGs, but you would never want to do that for a variety of reasons. Will it work? sure... about as well as pouring everclear into your gas tank. It also voids the warranty as Source Fours require HPLs as part of the license agreement and warranty.

The BTL has what is known as a P28s or Medium Pre-focus base, and therefore goes into the Fresnel fixture only. There are other lamps you can get with the same base and LCL (BTN, BTP, BTR), but I HIGHLY suggest the BTH lamp. It's a new 575W 115V lamp that has 30% more output than the BTL (15,500 lumens vs. 11,000 for the BTL) at only 75 more watts. Try one and you will be sold. I guarantee it.

Your best bet though is to contact Altman and ETC, and say, "Hey, here is what I have in inventory. What lamps do you recommend for them to achieve <insert the name of what you want to achieve-- be it longest life, highest output, etc.>". They will tell you the best options on the market for getting the best performance out of their fixture.

Thank you for your insight Mark, it's great to get a manufacturer's perspective on this. The ControlBooth continues to be a legitimate resource and adds value to our time online-

Thanks Mark!

Thanks Ship. It is going to be interesting! The more i get into this the more i like the S4s. ETC did a fine design job and they are workhorses!
The studying begins.

Thanks to all for great assistance. Control Booth is a fantastic resource with absolutely great members.

You guys really saved me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back