Large Scale DMX Distribution over CAT5 and control system

The problem is I don't want one command sent to each room, I want each room to have it's own cue list, so each can be individually controlled. The dmx over cat5 is still a good idea though

Ion can do that as it allows up to 200 cue lists or something like that number. You can get a fader wing and configure the faders as cue playbacks, lower bump is Go, upper is Stop/Go Back. Thus you can have one console for all, with all cues in their assorted lists being triggered from a media server. Gonna be a ***** to cue though !

FWIW, I'd be staying away from using any portion of another network for any of this. I can see dropping portions of the existing network off it's backbone so as to use the gear (switches and cabling) for lighting, but I would not be attempting to use it while there is other traffic.

, you can still have only one cue stack. In situations like these though, where it seems not everything its timecoded down to a science, having sections on stacks and on executors will allow for greater safety and things will be a bit easier to deal with.

Eos/Ion support multiple cue list "stacks", that can be controlled separately on a fader wing, or virtual, as needed.

The problem is I don't want one command sent to each room, I want each room to have it's own cue list, so each can be individually controlled. The dmx over cat5 is still a good idea though

You can have both. The Ion will let you setup multiple cuelists so each room can be controlled individually, plus you can setup a "master" playlist that has trigger events for any or all of the other cuelists.

... I may be entirely off base, but as a non-profit community event, do you think there is any chance of getting some sort of corporate sponsorship? Is there any point in reaching out to ETC or any other manufacturers?

Depending on the nature of the project, it would not be a bad idea to reach out for corporate sponsors. ETC does have a philanthropy program with specific guidelines for what does and doesn't qualify. More information (and application forms) can be found here. Non-entertainment corporate sponsors would still help offset costs so don't limit yourself to just the manufacturers of gear that you will/would like to use.

I think an Ion is the way to go... I know the prices have skyrocketed with the release of the element though :(

While I haven't compared rental prices recently, I would be shocked to see rental pricing of Ion jump with the sales price increase. (Not that I am discouraging the purchase of the console, but if you are only going to use it for a limited run and aren't looking to replace an existing console or add a new one to your stock, it seems the most cost-effective way to go.)

~Kirk

Depending on the nature of the project, it would not be a bad idea to reach out for corporate sponsors. ETC does have a philanthropy program with specific guidelines for what does and doesn't qualify. More information (and application forms) can be found here. Non-entertainment corporate sponsors would still help offset costs so don't limit yourself to just the manufacturers of gear that you will/would like to use.

While I haven't compared rental prices recently, I would be shocked to see rental pricing of Ion jump with the sales price increase. (Not that I am discouraging the purchase of the console, but if you are only going to use it for a limited run and aren't looking to replace an existing console or add a new one to your stock, it seems the most cost-effective way to go.)

~Kirk

You are a godsend for the corporate gift section.

One of the best way to do multiple rooms that I can come up with is using LSC products.

Use the Nexus 1 to output your DMX

Use Clarity on a computer as your console, no need for surface and you can set up time triggers to trigger each cue

You guys have realised this was a discussion 2 years ago, right?

LSC is virtually unheard of in the US if my memory serves, so bear that in mind when making recommendations for our US bretheren :)

Last edited:
LSC is virtually unheard of in the US if my memory serves, so bear that in mind when making recommendations for out US bretheren :)

I just heard about LSC...by reading the wiki. I thought it was some kind of control protocol or something when I first read it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back