LED as ACL?

I've read many of the ACL threads, going back years, but it doesn't seem to have been asked recently.

Any LED replacements for ACL's? I'd be glad to put it together myself. I need a few banks of bright hard beams to cut through haze. On stage, we're only throwing 20' or so. If I do a ceiling and shoot them out into the audience, then I'll need a beam that can stay true enough for 75'.

I have tried VNSP lenses in S4 pars - yuck. I've tried VNSP lenses in Par64s - yuck. I have a raylight reflector and the lamp that goes in it (forget the ANSI code) from Bulbtronics on its way to try out.

I could use MR16 or medium base lamps if any exist with a very tight beam angle and the right price. If I end up having to spend $20-25 each on them anyway, I'll probably just go with pinspots, but I'd love to buy components cheaper than that.

Any suggestions?

Would somebody mind clarifying what the OP means by "ACL"? It may be something obvious, but not all theatre terminology is the same.

Also, I'm pretty sure it's not "anterior crucible ligament".

Air Craft Landing lights that are wired in seires as they are 24 to 26 volt, in small par can shapped housings

I've read many of the ACL threads, going back years, but it doesn't seem to have been asked recently.

Any LED replacements for ACL's? I'd be glad to put it together myself. I need a few banks of bright hard beams to cut through haze. On stage, we're only throwing 20' or so. If I do a ceiling and shoot them out into the audience, then I'll need a beam that can stay true enough for 75'.

I have tried VNSP lenses in S4 pars - yuck. I've tried VNSP lenses in Par64s - yuck. I have a raylight reflector and the lamp that goes in it (forget the ANSI code) from Bulbtronics on its way to try out.

I could use MR16 or medium base lamps if any exist with a very tight beam angle and the right price. If I end up having to spend $20-25 each on them anyway, I'll probably just go with pinspots, but I'd love to buy components cheaper than that.

Any suggestions?

Not the LED suggestion you're looking for, but since you mentioned them, I've gotten much better beams out of the S4 par VNSPs by adding a top hat to them. Same size as a 360Q.

What about actual ACL lamps in PAR64 cans? You do need to remove the ceramic and replace it with ring terminals though. And you have to wire them in series banks of 4, or find a 30V dimmer.

On a random tangent, what would happen if I ran the output of a Sensor dimmer into an autotransformer set to 30V into an ACL and actually tried to dim it?

Blizzard Lighting has the Flurry Beam. It uses a 60w RGBW LED light engine, offers a 2.5 degree beam and is a moving head.

Just introduced at LDI. No picture available at this time.

If your budget permits, Blizzard also offers the G-Streak w/ a 2 degree beam 50w light engine, 17 gobo wheel and a 14 color wheel w/open.

If you don't need movement, Blizzard's HighBeam is a 105w RGBW fixture with an 8 degree beam.

http://www.blizzardlighting.com/products/par-cans-and-wash-lights/item/353-highbeam

Someone already asked this, but why not just use ACLs? What is the need for an alternative? If you own PAR64 fixtures, the mod for ACLs is easy. It is also probably far less expensive than a whole new fixture. Just remember that you either need a transformer or to wire 4 ACL units in series.

Someone already asked this, but why not just use ACLs? What is the need for an alternative? If you own PAR64 fixtures, the mod for ACLs is easy. It is also probably far less expensive than a whole new fixture. Just remember that you either need a transformer or to wire 4 ACL units in series.

The 25 hour lamp life is one reason to not go with a true ACL lamp. 60 bucks at Bulbtronics. I think a viable, longer-lasting, close-to-equivalent substitute is worth looking for. The wiring isn't an issue - I've done that with 12v MR16's before - but that lamp life!

Not sure how accurate the 25 hour lamp life is. Have had a set for 3 years haven't had to change a lamp yet. Granted they aren't used continuously.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Not sure how accurate the 25 hour lamp life is. Have had a set for 3 years haven't had to change a lamp yet. Granted they aren't used continuously.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

The only time I've ever replaced ACL lamps is when people connected them to 120V. Had a set last almost 10 years of use 3-5 times a year, often on for 10-15 min at once.

I don't know what your budget's like, but I'm a fan of Mac 101s in 4-bars for ACL looks. They're dirt cheap at most rental houses these days..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back