Design LED Fluorescent Tubes and Control

T1NM4N

Hey all,

So, I'm designing "Addams Family Musical" and my scenic designer has created a very interesting family tree. He want's fluorescent tubes to hang from the branches (13 to be exact). Since I don't want glass, we have created a hard plastic alternative. Plastic tube with some thick diffusion. Now we want to put LED tape inside of each tube for the glow.

Here's my problem: They need to all be individually controlled (pulsing and different up times). What equipment can I use to get 13 separate channels out of this tree so they can pulse and come on at different times?

Thanks!
theT1NM4N

Wherever you purchased your LED ribbon from you should also be able to get DMX LED controllers. Basically you apply power to the controller and DMX and then connect the LED ribbon. I also have acquired a 9-channel DMX controller, but I can't remember the brand offhand. Same concept, just more channels on a single board.

@Amiers we have the psu you suggested and are using the tape. I have a lengths of the 4line cable on the way but are having trouble with the encoders we already have so looking to find more. Is the encoder you showed relatable? I'm finding a lot of Chinese made nonsense that I just don't feel good about.

With this specific decoder no. We have the smaller version of the same style decoder. Most will come from China, it is just the nature of the beast with this setup.

What specifically are you having troubles with the encoder.

@Amiers

We ordered 5 this summer and now 2 have gone bad (one has lost control completely; we can control it but only when no dips are on and the other one won't turn green off). It's difficult to purchase something and know it could go nuts at any moment.

Yeah they are cheaply made. I would buy the bigger version so you have the extra channels in case one goes out. Proper ventilation is a must for these things. They don't have fans so they need to be in open area where the heat can disperse.

I haven't had one go out on me yet and I've been running them for about 2 years. I did lose the power supplies but that was because of a power outage surge issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back