LED House Lights - RGBA/W - what’s the best?

kenm

I (venue owner) have a 700cap auditorium remodel project taking off Summer 2020. ~17’h ceilings, rows of chairs, originally built in the 60’s. Will probably be putting 24-36ish new LED house lights across the ceiling.

It used to be a few years ago that Chroma Q’s Inspire was the top dog for color-changing LED house lights. Is that still the case? Or what else is out there newer on the market that might be better than the Inspire?

- Pendant-style/surface mount (not recessed)
- Makes a nice 3000-3500k white, but can also change colors for added effect
- DMX controlled / constant 120v power
- Obviously great dimming and flicker-free/adjustable PWM

Last edited:
I'm using ColorSource PARSon a project now - decently priced, easy to daisy chain data on RJ45 patch cords, and UL924 listed for emergency use.

Have used LightSource https://www.thelightsource.com/products/hl-series-rgbw-151 but a little pricey. Worked very nice.

I know of but have not used Altman but the Chalice is available in color.

At Alley Theatre we used PL fresnels from Strand and they seem pleased.

I'm sure you could find a good par at Chauvet as well - just not UL924 if that is needed.

I (venue owner) have a 700cap auditorium remodel project taking off Summer 2020. ~17’h ceilings, rows of chairs, originally built in the 60’s. Will probably be putting 24-36ish new LED house lights across the ceiling.

It used to be a few years ago that Chroma Q’s Inspire was the top dog for color-changing LED house lights. Is that still the case? Or what else is out there newer on the market that might be better than the Inspire?

- Pendant-style/surface mount (not recessed)
- Makes a nice 3000-3500k white, but can also change colors for added effect
- DMX controlled / constant 120v power
- Obviously great dimming and flicker-free/adjustable PWM

Definitely The Light Source HL series are the top of the line house lights, Chroma-Qs are a close second.

Since your spacing seems to be set by existing (?) it is probably wise to look at the photometrics. Yours is a low ceiling so more, smaller units will usually look better with less glare. Also, is the space used for other than performing arts and similar events, or do you need higher levels for test taking and such.

Does anyone have any experience with Atlantic Lighting houselights? Specifically https://www.atlantic-lighting.com/product/led-recessed_round-new-construction-led6_vr_open .

In a small remodel where this is what is being specified and wanted to see if there were any opinions on them before I find out the hard way!
Chris
The only way to know for sure is to get a sample and test it. If they won't send a sample then beware. But the specs say it all.... down to 10% dimming is ridiculously bad and the "better" down to 1% is not really that good if you want true theatrical quality dimming without pop on and pop off.

Would it be crazy to upgrade the houselights with the best possible solution thats (probably) cheaper to get the best dimming in white, and then add to your inventory 6-8 Colorsource pars for the times when color in the house is needed?

Having always worked in a house with architectural houselights, adding anything to light the house for audience participation or award shows etc, was a desired part of the lighting designer. Maybe they prefered moving lights, cross lit, fresnels, breakups, but almost never what was leftover from the last show.

Dimming to 1% - of lumens - looks like about 10% to the eye - a significant bump from and to full off. This is a terrible fixture for performing arts spaces including worship spaces that do theatrical level production .

So that was my bad for not looking at the website rather than the cut sheet that I was e-mailed. According to that, the DMX interface option allows for dimming down to .1% of output (I was fortunate enough to have read this conversation and provided that number to them when I first began asking about this. I'm pushing for a sample, but I'm not sure I'm going to get it - we will see. I'll provide the actual sheet here as an attachment! The options they are specing (have chosen?) are highlighted.

And for the record - I'm not looking for colored houselights - this was just the most recent houselight thread I could find!

Attachments

• DA--LED6_VR_open_NP12-148_091319 (2).pdf
    659.8 KB · Views: 287
I looked for that and couldn't find it. Yes, probably an EldoLED driver - seems to be all anyone uses.

Whether you like the 4000k or something warmer, different question. I always specify 3000k.

There are probably dozens of very similar fixtures by nearly every recessed fixture manufacturer. I like to stick with the big names; Cooper, Acuity/Lithonia Prescolite/Hubbell, Lightolier, etc.

Yeah, EldoLED drivers or their proprietary driver for a few.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back